We're saved

>The big question is how many kWh of electricity did they consume in

A lot, I've no doubt. At last, a use for all those wind farms.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yebbut it's like wagon wheels, isn't it? People were bigger back then... :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Depends what you're growing and how intesively you maintain it. Willow is reasonably good on one acre, coppiced, to keep a modern super-insulated house going all year.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

litre litre litre litre etc etc.

Well Mr Without-the-hot-air may choose to give an opinion on the matter one of these centuries.

Reply to
Tim Streater

with respect, anyone with a basic understanding of physics and economics can see the idea is a farce

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Reply to
harry

Have you considered actually reading the article? Of course it's much easier just to make hydrogen. But it's a lot easier to transport petrol in existing tankers and use it in existing petrol engines than it is to change to using hydrogen, and making hydrogen does does nothing for carbon capture.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

They're claiming the conversions plant would run on the "lashings" of spare overnight electricity from windmills that "goes to waste" at the moment.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Have you read the article?

They do make hydrogen, but then make "petrol" from that and some CO2 from the air. Much easier to store and transport.

Now all we need is an overnight surplus from those windfarms. TBH it sounds less silly as a store than most ideas I've seen.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

might *just* be possible. The UK has under 1 acre per person...

It actually says 1 acre per house, not per person. Anyway, we're thinking of moving to Ireland at some stage!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Funny some people don't understand elementary chemistry. Ie, you.

Reply to
harry

Bollocks from you. Perfect feasible. Whether it's practical or efficient is another matter.

They might do better processing combustion gases from power stations etc. I expect it would need the outputs from two or more power stations to process the gases from one. So fairly self defeating.

Reply to
harry

Depends how well insulated your house is. I already do this but I need much less than an acre.

Reply to
harry

Probably. But that will happen anyway. Probably in four or five years. Maybe in two if we have more QE, hence inflation.

Reply to
harry

You remember?

Reply to
harry

Half an acre. I know.

Reply to
harry

Exactly.

I.e. bollocks.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hint harry. I read books. Research papers and terribly boring stuff like that. And cross reference what people say in them, between them to get an idea of the actual truth, rather then believing what one solar panel salesman says.

Its all frightfully hard work and far too much for your pretty little head,. so you can go back to the Guardian now.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't remember us concurring that harry is eligible to be described as "pretty"?

Reply to
polygonum

> "Company officials say they had produced five litres of petrol in less

Read the article !! Stop being a dork !

Reply to
Doctor Drivel