Ways to snazz up white melamine kitchen unit doors?

Tablets? Wot they then?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Oh. And I thought you knew everything :-)

Tablet weaving is an ancient way of making strapping, it's a form of warp-faced weaving. The tablets are (usually) square but can be triangular or hexagonal even. there's a hole at each corner. Americans call them cards, they can be made from cardboard, wood, bone, horn, cut-up credit cards, the first time I saw it (decades ago) the weaver was using trimmed playing cards ...

A warp thread is passed through each hole and secured at each end. A shuttle loaded with a weaver thread - the weft - goes through the shed and another shed is formed by turning the tablets, thus raising another set of warps. The usual patterns are diagonal rather than right angled as in tabby weaving and are very beautiful, the result is used to decorate clothing, for bag straps, camel harness ... anything you can think of. Your camera strap is probably machine woven using the same technique.

Different colours of warp create different patterns. The larger number wanted by a friend was to make a belt with a pattern which included letters, numbers and non-geometric designs such as flowers.

I can do the weaving but don't understand the setting up :-(

Don't worry about it, I doubt that you'll ever need this knowledge but if you fancy a go contact me off-group.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher