Wayleave "scam"?

I should look into that. I saw nothing about wayleaves/easements/servitudes on the title documents. Power cable runs across the field at the front of the property, and the pole which feeds this house, also feeds the place across the road.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Apart from what others have said

BT (or whatever they're called) also pay wayleaves if they have lines over your property e.g. to a neighbour.

Bear in mind that (IANAL) wayleave payments may be subject to tax (google provides plenty of references if you're interested)

Reply to
Allan

I've no idea if you are entitled to payment in those circs. And IIRC - as in E&W - wayleaves aren't registered in the title in the Land Register; only servitudes are. I think you ought to have been told about any wayleave agreement by the vendors but such things can get overlooked - even in Scotland's conveyancing system :) So your best bet might be to start by asking whichever company deals with your area what if any wayleaves they think they have for your land.

Reply to
Robin

It doesn't for telegraph poles:-)

Don't know about o/h power lines.

I have 2 11kV runs which bring in ?250 or so each year.

You can usually opt for a *one off* payment which, I think, lasts in perpetuity (80 years?)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Now all I need is a 2-it.

Reply to
S Viemeister

You can have one of ... Oh. Never mind.

Reply to
Huge

Err...there are people who'll do it for you :)

And I wouldn't call all of them scammers. It's bread and butter for a some chartered surveyors (RICS members). They may well quote a fee up front. It used to be as little as 10% of what they get you (+VAT) - though I don't know if they take on small, domestic jobs on those terms.

Reply to
Robin