Way OT - Interner memes, technology, British summer and more

Let's add serendipity.

I was contemplating the Usenet meme "AICMFP" (and I claim my five pounds) which originated, IIRC, in newspaper campaigns in the '50s and '60s where a picture was published by the paper (on local posters, I think) of someone who would be wandering around a popular seaside holiday resort (in the UK?) in high summer (in the UK?) and the task was to see this person, and (holding a current copy of the paper) challenge them with

"You are the Daily Mail Lying Bastard and I claim my £5"

At which point you are rewarded with £5.

Now this meme is still active - see the discussion on wind farms today - but I can't remember when I last saw this kind of campaign.

Which may be a comment on the average age of Usenet posters, of course.

However I was also contemplating why this might not be effective today.

(1) £5? The paper costs nearly that much and why would I put down my skinny latte just to challenge some oik to get £5? Now when I was a lad £5 was worth £5! Tank full of petrol at least, maybe two.

(2) No popular seaside resorts in the UK any more - perhaps Spain instead? Can our readers who can still remember, remember when resorts like Lowestoft and Blackpool were heaving with people, beaches were packed, promenades were packed, B&B guest houses and hotels were packed, strange cycle contraptions pedalled by groups of noisy youths roamed the streets, kiss me quick hats etc.?

All destroyed by package holidays to warmer climes.

(3) Technology. These days if the poor sod who was wandering about with £5 notes was spotted, there would be a social media frenzy to organise a flash mob to surround the money tree in minutes.

Pragmatism would also dictate that the paper was shared around the flash mob to limit the overhead on getting your £5.

(4) The poor sod would probably be mugged for the pocket full of fivers within the hour.

Cynical, moi?

Mainly interesting how this once popular publicity scheme still has echoes on Usenet.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Yellow side column here:

polygonum

In message , David.WE.Roberts writes

A bit earlier...

Nick

"Asked what she'd do with the money, Soper gave an immediate and detailed answer. ?New clothes for all the family,? she said, ?a ton of coal in for the winter, the rest in the bank and a nice holiday for us all next summer.?"

So the value of the £100 in the '30s matches the kind of prize offered on Daybreak for answering questions like:

uk.d-i-y is

(a) A space station

(b) A Usenet news group

(c) A sexually transmitted disease

At least 80% of you should know the correct answer, of course.

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. does anyone know if the free web entry has ever one one of these?

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

A ton of coal has a certain reality about it that "credit of so-many kWh of leccie" doesn't.

Answer is obviously (c). But we could start building (a) - harry can do the solar power, TNP the control systems, ...

Reply to
polygonum

To use another meme: Close, but no cigar. ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Is this a plea for the good old days, when we had damp walls and outside toilets?

I recall the idea you mention, the radio stations of the north sea used to have them as well, spot the girl with the Radio London T Shirt etc.

No nothing like this is possoble in the days of mass communications is it.

It all started to go downhill when CB came over.

Blimey, youwill be wanting the return of Coalmen and children cleaning chimneys next!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Last time I was involved with a coal delivery, I was six!

The bastards dumped it in big pile in the back lane and my mother and I had to move it all (using my toy handcart). Father was at work and the stuff was blocking access.

I guess I only looked as if I had been cleaning chimneys?

Reply to
polygonum

Didn't they ask: "Where d'ya wannit, Guv?"

Reply to
Tim Streater

Say that in an Ayrshire accent/dialect and you might be close. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

My late father's hearse got delayed behind the coal lorry.

As he was never on time anywhere when he was alive, it was not inappropriate.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

So they *did* say that but you dint have a clue what they were saying?

Reply to
Tim Streater

At the time, I was pretty good at understanding and was developing my own accent. Lost it all (almost) when I moved to Hampshire!

Reply to
polygonum

Just the doom & gloom left to work on then?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K