Wattage of an electric timer.

I was thinking of replacing my outside security light (300W) with a simple plug in segment electric timer and low energy bulb. Question - Is the wattage of the timer greater than the wattage of the low energy bulb ? I've Googled this question for many an hour with no results on the watts used by a plug in segment timer.
Thank you.

I guess insignificant - small synchronous motor as in old clocks. Isn't there a data plate or anything embossed? (My guess is 2 watts)

The data plate only mentions the capacity of the device - 13A Resistive load and 2A inductive.
My current light is at the bottom end of the garden and is used to keep an eye on our naughty dog. The current nightly usage is approx 300 watts per night. Proposed usage is Timer 2 watts x 24hrs = 48 watts + Light bulb 11 watts x 5hrs = 55 watts - Total = 103 watts.
Thanks.

Not quite. Power x time is Watt-hours so you will use 103 Watt hours. You need to multiply the power of the security light (300W) by how long it is on to get a comparison. If it's on for the same 5 hours then it is using 1500 Watt-hours, more normally quoted as 1.5kWh, or 15x your proposed replacement. I don't think you need to worry about the power consumed by the timer.
MBQ

It's fuck all of a gnat's kneecap
HTH
--
geoff

We get lots of gnats around here ! So, you reckon 2 watts is about right ?
Thanks
dspeed wrote:

I tried one on my energy meter last night and it didn't even register 1W....
dspeed wrote:

Probably uses way less than that. If in doubt, get a digital one. These will use less since they have no moving parts etc (other than a relay).
--
Cheers,

John.

If you want to overestimate it, yes
--
geoff

Thanks to all for their input.....
I'm going to go for the low energy bulb (9w) for 5-6 hours on a timer (negligible w).
Now I just have to find a new outside light that a low energy bulb will fit into !?
Thanks

I would suggest using one that has an outer glass bulb outdoors, as it helps the tube run nearer its proper temperature in the cold, and hence give full light output. 9W ones are available which are same size as GLS lamps (standard filament lamps).
--
Andrew Gabriel

Do you really want a timer, as opposed to one that comes on when it's dark? (i.e. photocell)
--
Andrew Gabriel
On Oct 18, 10:31 am, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Hi, I've read that photocell and low energy bulbs don't play well together ?
Thanks

There are ones that are fine -- one with a connection to the neutral and an internal relay, as used in streetlamps.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:09:16 -0000 someone who may be dspeed

They have been used together for decades.
One can even buy everything in one box http://www.screwfix.co.uk/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId 54603&ts550&idU105 is just one product which does this. There are a number of others.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
On 18 Oct,

Mine's worked well for years.
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Osram do low energy lamps with an adjustable light sensor in the base. google for "osram dulux le sensor" (I bought some at least 3 years ago and I'm sure I paid far less than the prices being shown) but it also turned up other manufacturers on this link http://www.litebulbs.co.uk/category.aspx?Category .
PeterK