bayonette light fitting security timer?

I have one of those electronic timers that plugs into a socket so I can set a lamp to come on at programmed times when I am out. I've realised a certain hall light gives a great impression of someone being in by the way it throws light to other rooms. I'm sure I once came across a timer that fits between the bayonette ceiling fitting and the actual bulb - maybe in a catalogue - but I can't find it again. Problem is with my terminology. Anyone know what I mean and/or have recommendations? A table lamp in the hall plugged into my current socket timer doesn't have the same effect as the ceiling light. Thanks in advance AA

Reply to
AA

I use one of these type of things

)

but its not a true timer, just a dusk-dawn setup, that doesn't work so well in hallways that are quite dark anyway, and tends to turn itsself on at odd times.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Don't know about that; however I'm sure you can get replacement light switches with built-in timers such as you need.

Not sure if this is one of them as the description is worse than useless, however you get the idea:

David

Reply to
Lobster

A friend once showed me a light switch he had replaced with a gadget which simulated occupation by switching a light on and off at irregular times for an unpredictable amount of on time. This might be what you need?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield