waterproofing leather boots

I have a Seiko diving watch, which I have owned for nearly 30 years. It's had 3 batteries in that time ...

Reply to
Huge

I have a low-end Lorus (100m!), which is on at least its third, probably fourth, battery. How long? A couple of decades at least. But I don't bath, bathe or dive with it :-)

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
nmm1

Current Casio reckons 10 year battery life, assuming a certain amount of use of the light (which I very rarely use). It was ~ £20 so assuming worst case and it doesn't survive the battery replacement I think I'll have pretty fair value for money.

Pete.

Reply to
Peter Clinch

I don't dive any more. Gave that malarkey up years ago.

Reply to
Huge

50m water depth is about 75psi, 100m 150 psi. Not to be laughed at pressures.

Something that can survive 100m is going need it's seals put back in the right place, carefully.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's probably about the same pressure it has to survive if you tread on it.

I've heard that you need to get a 200M watch if you want to press the buttons when wet. But they are disposable items anyway these days, unless you want a mechanical one as jewellery.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

If its one of those watches that has a generator driven by your arm movement don't let the storage (wet capacitor?) discharge and remain discharged for weeks or you may find that it refuses to hold a charge again.

I had a fairly expensive Seiko Eco drive watch fail in this way after around 3 years. When I enquired about repairs the cost was almost the same as a new watch. Apparently the repair consists of replacing all the innards. Research on the web revealed many unhappy customers with short lived watches that "never required another battery".

Reply to
alan

No - it is light powered. And has some sort of shutdown mechanism (if I have it right, put it in a dark drawer and it will stop even moving the hands ater a while to conserve power).

Reply to
polygonum

Casio Waveceptor 4713 here. Photocell integrated into the watch face keeps the internal battery well charged. It's never gone below "Hi" on the state of charge, and I never expect to undo the back. Describes itself as "water resistant".

Reply to
Alan Dicey