Water softener systems

On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 14:08:41 -0800, Jon Parker wrote:

rrp-239-105

We had one of those wonder magnetic electric coil things when we moved in. Did bugger all to soften the water.
We now have a salt based water softener which does a proper job.
We have one which takes salt tablets, which involves buggering about with a bag of tablets every few weeks.
The ones which take blocks of salt are a bit more expensive but they are so much easier to keep topped up with salt.
In the last house we had phosphate dosing on the cold feed to the combi boiler so I can't really comment on whole house water softening with a phosphate doser.
Cheers
Dave R

On 11 Mar 2018 13:54:03 GMT

Agreed. The location of our softener means that block salt is the only way to go. There had been a pellet-type one there before, and it had been neglected and abandoned, and had turned into a solid block of salt. That came out when we moved in, and a twin-tower water-powered block salt unit put in its place. It's great.
This is in East Anglia, officially a Very Hard Water Area. The concept of softening all the water supplied in the area boggles the mind, it would take a softening plant the size of one of our counties.
--
Davey.

but, they don't last forever. Our first one of these ran for about 10 years. We're on No2 now.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On Sunday, March 11, 2018 at 5:14:53 PM UTC, Davey wrote:

I too am in East Anglia. We had a new bathroom put in two months ago and the new taps and shower screen are already alive with scale despite regular cleaning!
Jon
On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 07:12:06 -0700 (PDT)

Presumably you don't (yet) have a softener installed?
--
Davey.

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 14:16:57 +0000

OOps, sorry, I didn't notice that you were the OP.
Apologies.
--
Davey.

On Saturday, 10 March 2018 22:08:44 UTC, Jon Parker wrote:

Correct. It's bollocks. The only ones that work use salt. (Ion exchange) In soluble calcium carbonate is changed to soluble sodium carbonate.
On Saturday, March 10, 2018 at 10:08:44 PM UTC, Jon Parker wrote:

?
total bollocks...

239-105

I live in a very hard water area and my salt loaded one cost £600 incl fitting.
On Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 1:45:11 PM UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

ms?

s total bollocks...

p-239-105

cl fitting.
Two blocks last 3 weeks.
Have you ever considering installing a reverse osmosis system. I use RO. I bought this system two years ago: https://ecosoft.com/reverse-osmosis-systems/ . It's perfect for my needs, and works effectively.
On 22/03/2018 09:03, RDss wrote:

I wouldn't fit one they are five times too expensive for what they are.
One of these should do a better job as long as your mains pressure is 4 bar or more..
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
There is noway you are getting more than a trickle of water without the tank from an under sink system, the membranes just aren't big enough.
I am not 100% sure my experience will be useful for you but still. We have very hard water and we had a unit installed. We ended up using EcoPure Wate r Softener. So shop around, compare several units, this resource may be use ful for you https://iwaterpurification.com/best-water-softener-reviews/ . I 've been using mine for 5 years and never had a problem with it.