Water softener systems

Agreed. The location of our softener means that block salt is the only way to go. There had been a pellet-type one there before, and it had been neglected and abandoned, and had turned into a solid block of salt. That came out when we moved in, and a twin-tower water-powered block salt unit put in its place. It's great.

This is in East Anglia, officially a Very Hard Water Area. The concept of softening all the water supplied in the area boggles the mind, it would take a softening plant the size of one of our counties.

Reply to
Davey

Rubbish RO systems work.

Reply to
dennis

More rubbish RO systems work.

Reply to
dennis

Correct. It's bollocks. The only ones that work use salt. (Ion exchange) In soluble calcium carbonate is changed to soluble sodium carbonate.

Reply to
harry

but, they don't last forever. Our first one of these ran for about 10 years. We're on No2 now.

Reply to
charles

romotion. But they do not work in domestic installs, hence their complete v aluelessness. To be effective - IIRC - the water needs to recirculate throu gh the magnetic field endlessly.

ok, you can stay completely ignorant.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I love that approach. You assert something which is wildly unlikely and then say that other people are ignorant because they don't rush to find evidence to support you.

Reply to
GB

Ah the old "limescale stops lead" myth.

Just had multiple tests in the shop which has about 15m lead from meter to tap.

First draw of the day was around 17 things and maximum limit is 10. Flushed pipe was very low but subsequent test of flushed line then 30 minutes standing time before further sample gave around 12. We're hard water but leaving water in lead pipe for only 30 minutes was long enough to take lead content above maximum recommended level.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Was thinking about getting R.O. filter for drinking water at work due to lead pipes.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

promotion. But they do not work in domestic installs, hence their complete valuelessness. To be effective - IIRC - the water needs to recirculate thr ough the magnetic field endlessly.

If you can't be bothered to google the origin of these water treating syste ms then no, I'm not going to sit here & spoon feed you.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well, if you believe this snake oil works, that's fine, but don't be surprised that others are not being suckered in.

Reply to
GB

ir promotion. But they do not work in domestic installs, hence their comple te valuelessness. To be effective - IIRC - the water needs to recirculate t hrough the magnetic field endlessly.

ystems then no, I'm not going to sit here & spoon feed you.

I'm pretty sure I said they don't work in a domestic setting. Why not get b ack to us when you have some info.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, I know, but that doesn't mean that they work in other situations.

I have. It's snake oil, but you don't like that information.

Reply to
GB

Books about imaginary entities have less basis on science than magnetic effect on water and the precipitation of carbonates.

I don't expect you like being told that either.

This is just one recent paper that is a peer reviewed publication from a University, there are loads of others.

Perhaps you should be equally open to the likelihood that god doesn't exist; where beliefs of the existence that father christmas, and the like, are akin to snake oil too?

Reply to
Fredxx

Bloody hell. Looks like I'll have to eat my hat, with a humble pie topping. Apologies to Tabbypurr.

I am absolutely open to that. I would describe myself as an atheist. It doesn't stop me wanting to be polite and respect the sensibilities of people who do believe.

Reply to
GB

Well done. Good that you've worked that out.

Once again you ascribe things to me that I've never claimed. So I don't think I'll waste any further time.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That doesn't make it true, but I feel I need to keep an open mind so unwilling to dismiss it out of hand. I've seen other articles with similar results.

Perhaps I was a little unkind.

Reply to
Fredxx

Thes days when I hear 'peer reviewed publication' and I find in it the words 'alternative eco-friendly' I just switch off. Whatever happened to actual real investigative science?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Some mock the concept of a peer reviewed article, others believe they represent greater credibility than claims made in pubs or even newsgroups.

YMMV

Reply to
Fredxx

The concept is a goodish one. Unfortunately IRL it doesn't mean a lot, sinc e the peer review process of weeding out the bad research mostly does not w ork. I wish it did. In practice people seldom criticise even the most outra geous crp because they don't want their research trashed in return. It's ab out careers/money first, not science first.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr