Water sealing a hole

I've got a piece of plastic through which I want to pass a 1/2" hose.

I want the seal between the hose and the plastic to be watertight but not permanent, eg I don't want to use a glue.

The container through which the hose will go will be holding about 2" of water and then will overflow, basically a bird bath with a fountain through the middle. At the moment the water is seeping back through the rough 1/2" hole and the hose.

My caulking compound, last used 3yrs ago is as solid as a rock. I don't want to buy another tube just for a tiddly job, neither do I want to go to the shops.

Ideas?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Hot glue?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

A hot glue stick, without the gun, heated with a candle/Lighter/blowtorch?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Blue tack. Or putty. But only if the hose isn't moving at all.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Plumbers Mait ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Grommet? IIRC the ones used for electrical metal back boxes are much the same size as a hose. I'd say the rough hole is one of your problems, may be better to tape it closed and cut a clean one with a taper or stepped cutter.

Reply to
newshound

Do you remember that tap apparently giving out water. All done by a transparent tube in the middle of the flowing water. I wonder if it would matter if you made some kind of fake ornate handle with the tube going through it that ran over the top edg? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Plumber's Mate. Blue tack.

Reply to
harry

Grommet?

The Natural Philosopher

Use a thick walled rubber hose through a smaller hole.

Reply to
John

Silly cone, ebay

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Chewing gum.

Reply to
Pancho

Good shout. I'm half way through one now.

(Hope I don't spread any virus to the frogs though.)

Reply to
AnthonyL