Water pipe OK near electricity meter?

Is there any restriction on the proximity of water pipework to the main fuse, meter and consumer unit? I need to run central heating pipework (in plastic pipe) through a cupboard housing the meter etc and it'll have to pass within a few inches of the main fuse and cross an inch or so over tails and other cables. Not ideal I know, but are there any regulations specifically prohibiting it? I can't find anything in BS7671 (IEE Regs) or various other BSes etc.

Reply to
Stanley Spanner

I'm not sure, not having the IEE regs in front of me. I'm sure someone will come up with the definitive answer.

However, assuming it is allowed, a few precautions might be a good idea anyway. In particular, avoid using any plumbing joints nearby. Secondly, run the pipework through a length of drainpipe. This will contain any squirting or splashing and provide additional mechanical protection to the pipe. Don't seal the drain top or bottom, you want to see the water pouring out of the bottom in the extremely unlikely event the internal pipe fails.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If drainpipe is too big, use a length of 22mm (assuming the water pipe is

15mm) or use plumbing 32mm waste pipe if the water pipe is 22mm.
Reply to
Kalico