Cross-bonding/earth bonding gas meter

Hi guys

Still looking at getting my boiler and HW cylinder replaced, so far managed to get 2 quotes out of the 4 plumbers that have visited!

Plumber A has specifically stated that the gas meter and water mains will need to be earthed and plumber B has put a caveat in his quote that it excludes any cross bonding that may be necessary to meet IEE Regs. Could some kind sole confirm or correct me on the following

  1. House is 30+ years old and I can't see any obvious earth wire in the vicinity of the gas meter so it is likely that appropriate earthing will be necessary

  1. Is this simply a case of running a cable from the CU and clamping to the outlet of the gas meter (and from there to the water mains)

  2. What size cable should be used for this

  1. Does it have to be done by an electrician or could I do it myself (I'm reasonably competant - replaced the CU, installed burglar alarm etc)

  2. Any problems with running the cable under the carpet around the edge of the room on solid concrete floor.

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Yes, but also checking that the main earth is satisfactory and working. Avoid cutting the conductors in the case where they continue on from one clamp to further clamps -- just strip the insulation so you can connect to the unbroken conductor.

10mm² usually.

Sounds like you are either competent yourself, or there's much more to worry about in the CU you already installed;-)

Not a good idea -- it could get damaged without being noticed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel