water pipe noise (possibly not knocking)

My house has developed an annoying problem that I've searched the newsgroup for without finding anything similar...

My water pipes have started to give an annoying knocking noise but it does not fit the descriptions of hammering that I've read - ie. it isn't a knocking sound repeated in quick succession but a one-off knock that sometimes repeats after 18 seconds and sometimes after minutes. It doesn't happen all the time and is perhaps related to water usage in the house - sometimes it happens straight after using a tap and sometimes it happens later (perhaps even 30 minutes or more later). I've felt the pipe with the stopcock on it and can feel vibration when the knock occurs. I can also feel the vibration at any tap.

I've only noticed this in the past couple of weeks and the only things that have changed water-wise are moving to a metered supply just before xmas and opening the stopcock fully (previously it was almost closed and had been for years in an attempt to stop a leak - a plumber re-sealed it and since just before xmas it's been fully open).

Turning the stopcock off completely stops the noise as does leaving a very small trickle of water or fast stream of drips coming from a tap (I tried this with upstairs and downstairs taps). Obviously neither of these are long term solutions so does anyone have any suggestion?

Duncan

Reply to
Duncan Hoyle

In message , Duncan Hoyle writes

Hi,

Check for a leaking cistern (or any other ball valve type arrangement).

We had exactly the same problems - turned out one of those daft european dual flush cisterns was leaking causing the valve to open slowly and then close abrubtly. Frequency ranged from a few seconds to a few minutes depending on water pressure, usage elsewhere etc.

Hth Someone

Reply to
somebody

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:28:37 GMT someone who may be Duncan Hoyle wrote this:-

Did these start when the stopcock was opened fully, or a few weeks later?

What sort of water system do you have? Does it occur on hot and cold appliances?

Reply to
David Hansen

Id go for a smartly shutting ballcock in the header tank.

Ive heard those in my parents house years ago..I used to sleep uponeder it..a hissing sound followed by a CLUNK as it shut off suddenly.

No idea what causes it. It was part of my life for years and years...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher