Water(?) Mark In Toilet Bowl

Months ago I replaced my toilet bowl with one that I got from Freecycle .It had been replaced by a tradesman for a couple as it had a slight chip on it but it was newer than my other one so the chip didn't matter . Since then it has exhibited a brown streak at the back of the bowl ( see picture) . The interior workings of the cistern is all plastic except for the hook that lifts the syphon but it is clear of the water and anyway appears made of a non rusting metal .I'm confused what is causing this brown mark .It can be removed by hard scouring but comes back again .I cannot see any sign of water running down after the inlet closes although the mark is immediately below one of the holes under the rim where water flows in to the bowl. All I can think of is putting silicone up in to that particular hole to seal it off. There are plenty others round the rim to do what is needed when flushed .

Any other sugegstions ??

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

You could meet us halfway by actually posting the picture.

Reply to
Phil L

Does your water come from variable sources?

Ours is sometimes borehole and others canal water. The bore hole water is full of chemicals that stain and can result in more cleaning. Is there any iron in it?

Reply to
EricP

Rusty washer or similar got washed into the water channel? Might be able to get it out buy standing the pan on its back and poking a piece of wire through the holes.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

This is probably a factory flaw in the enamel? which you will get the brown stain coming back time and time again and only a replacement will suffice. Probably why this was changed in the first place.

Reply to
George

Oops ...bollocks ...LOL

NOSPAMnet

No.straight off the mains .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

looking at!

David

Reply to
Lobster

I guess that's a possibility . At this moment in time I can't be arsed taking it all apart...I'll maybe try my silicone plug idea first .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

If you stand in front of the toilet as tho' you were having a piss what you see is looking down ..you have the rim at the back of the bowl at the top of the pic .then the brown mark and that leads down to the water which is at the bottom of the pic . I didn't think it was that confusing ...lol

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

washer and it is slowly rusting away, so blocking up the hole will only send the rusty water down a different one.

Reply to
Phil L

OK, got it! :-)

Yes, I'm going with the suggestion of a bit of rusty metal stuck somewhere just upstream of the hole. I wonder if a cable/pipe detector would find anything if waved over the porcelain just there?

David

Reply to
Lobster
2p:

The rim of our toilet bowl is hollow, with holes pierced in it all the way round. (I only discovered this by brushing it extra carefully one day -- the hollow rim and holes are of course invisible, being upside down to the normal view.)

What I'm getting at is that there _may_ be something stuck inside the rim of the bowl itself, i.e. not upstream.

That's my 2p.

john

Reply to
jal

Yeah...mine is designed that way as well..I tried poking a wire up but couldn't detect anything and also looked using a small mirror but again no sign of anything .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Had a loo that did this once and eventually after taking it apart and getting at it from behind a large very rusty bolt was extracted. Looked like the bolt used to hold the cistern on a close coupled pan.

Most of rust mark removed using acid and rest disappeared after a while.

Reply to
Ian_m

If this is a close coupled WC then I'd reckon there is a small leak from the around the syphon which is rusting the coupling bracket (galvanised steel) and then the rusty water is dripping into the pan inlet.

Failing that something (else) made of steel is in the water.

Reply to
Ed Sirett