water main "trace wire"

This was new to me - a requirement for a "trace wire" from water main all the way into the house stopcock.

Trace Wire is attached to the mains water service pipe by means of cable ties at intervals of not less than 1 metre. The purpose of Trace Wire is to enable the location of the service pipe in the future. The wire must be 1.5mm single strand BLUE plastic coated to 6491 standard and installed on ALL installations.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I suppose this makes sense if the pipe is plastic. It gives a metal detector something to look for, if nothing else! :-)

Reply to
mick

Sounds like utter bollocks to me.

I have successfully traced MDPE water pipes using a "Cat" scanner and a transmitter.

Reply to
RW

Is this wire in the building regs ? It came off some the Bristol Water plc website. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I'd have thought that 'not more than 1 metre' might have been more appropriate.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Depends whether they are referring to frequency or distance.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

A metre is usually a measure of distance :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

"veeery interestiing". I have several buried polyethylene water lines in my yard / garden. I'd like to trace them.

Can you give me a reference to this techniquen please.

Thank you John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

Reply to
jhewitt

The other kind is a metronome - it's a common mistake...

Reply to
Steve Walker