Water leaking round a door window - help please?

I am helping a friend repair an external door. I know it needs painting on the outside and that is one of the jobs on the list so let?s put that to one side.

I have put some photos here

They are full res photos so you should be able to zoom in for detail.

The door is metal skinned (magnets are attracted to it so I guess it?s not aluminium skinned) and the problem is that it faces south west and in winter water leaks in around the window. The leak witness marks can be seen in the second photo.

My guess is that the DG unit needs to come out (there is no evidence of the DG unit having blown) and some sort of seal repaired/replaced.

On the outside of the door the grazing beading does appear to be cracked/broken about half way down the RHS (Detail in the last picture).

I have looked on the web and can find no info on removing DG units from metal skinned doors.

So my real question is how do I remove the DG panel and having got it out am I realistically going to be able to buy a replacement seal (or is it a job for the professionals).

Failing this what is the best way to prevent water making its way through the middle of the door? Any help appreciated Thanks.

Reply to
news

How about Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure (yes - really!)

It's a very thin liquid that wicks its way into small gaps & then sets - I used to on my old Moggy Traveller to keep most of the rain outside - also a very handy aid when repairing old stained-glass when the client can't afford a complete dismantle-rebuild.

Worth a try! Adrian (no connection etc etc)

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Good DG Windows and doors have drains in them to allow the water out. The GLAZING bead is not waterproof and the units often sit on small lumps to allow the water to drain. I would suggest you look for this. You can normally see the drains covered by the caps just above the windowsills . Posh windows have them concealed ie everest anglian .

Gary

It looks like an I.G door. If it is, there should be a fifteen year warranty on the thing (IIRC - as it's long time since I was involved with these things) and if still in warranty, I would suggest contacing their technical enquiry department at snipped-for-privacy@igdoors.co.uk or ring them on

01633 486860

Hope this helps

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Mmm I suspect they will then promptly point to several terms & conditions in that limited warranty that, by not being complied with, amount to a null &voiding of it.

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K