Water hammer

Just had to have a new combi boiler fitted (Worcester Bosch) and the location of the boiler had to be changed in the garage due to current regs with flues being near to doors etc. Since this was done, we are getting loud knocking noises when both hot and cold taps are turned off suddenly. I've had a look at the ofefnding pipes which are in the garage near to the boiler and there is quite a lot of old piping which doesn't have regular brackets fixing it to the wall. Would fitting more brackets solve the problem or do I need to get some kind of valve fitted to stop the water hammer noise? If the latter is the case, it is likely to be expensive and would the boiler need draining as that would involve refilling with inhibitor?

Thanks

John

Reply to
John

More supports will most probably improve thee situation. If that alone does not fix the situation then fitting a shock arrestor ought to help. These are easy enough to fit, but would require some draining down (and hence inhibitor replacement)

See part number 11350 at

for an example.

Reply to
John Rumm

Oops, sorry that was an expansion vessel - try 11355 instead.

Reply to
John Rumm

Why drain down the CH side? the problem appears to be on the potable warer side, so no inhibitor involved,. Clue -- happens when /cold/ water shut off quickly, as well as hot.

I would try securing pipes, and if that is insufficient then a shock arrestor.

Reply to
<me9

Indeed - my bad - must have been half asleep posting again! ;-)

In fact, as it happens on hot and cold that would suggest the mains cold feed to the boiler.

Reply to
John Rumm

I also suffered severe hammer from the toilet taps immediately after our new WB combi was fitted. After supporting a corner of pipework (hot & cold) left to wave about by the otherwise tidy installer - to no avail - I decided to replace the existing taps with ceramic insert types. Instant cure!! It seems the old washer based taps can be overwhelmed by the high pressure of the hot supply from a combi, though this didn't explain why the cold side never had a problem with the rising main. Perhaps just a weak washer....Hope this is of some help.

Reply to
halfjobharry

|!On 22 Feb, |! John Rumm wrote: |! |!> John wrote: |!> |!> > Just had to have a new combi boiler fitted (Worcester Bosch) and the |!> > location of the boiler had to be changed in the garage due to current |!> > regs with flues being near to doors etc. Since this was done, we are |!> > getting loud knocking noises when both hot and cold taps are turned off |!> > suddenly. I've had a look at the ofefnding pipes which are in the garage |!> > near to the boiler and there is quite a lot of old piping which doesn't |!> > have regular brackets fixing it to the wall. Would fitting more brackets |!> > solve the problem or do I need to get some kind of valve fitted to stop |!> > the water hammer noise? If the latter is the case, it is likely to be |!> > expensive and would the boiler need draining as that would involve |!> > refilling with inhibitor? |!> |!> More supports will most probably improve thee situation. If that alone |!> does not fix the situation then fitting a shock arrestor ought to help. |!> These are easy enough to fit, but would require some draining down (and |!> hence inhibitor replacement) |! |!Why drain down the CH side? the problem appears to be on the potable warer |!side, so no inhibitor involved,. Clue -- happens when /cold/ water shut off |!quickly, as well as hot. |! |!I would try securing pipes, and if that is insufficient then a?shock |!arrestor.

Thanks! but I have now shown that it is *definitely* the downstairs heating valve, by playing with the controls.

The CH is grossly over powered for the radiators fitted, so there is much too much water being pumped around. Can you turn down the output of the CH pump? My boiler is a Baxi 105 Instant.

I was also thinking of draining a bit of water out of the CH and adding new water, then some air would boil out into the radiators.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 08:03:41 +0000, Dave Fawthrop wrote:

|!On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 09:29:36 GMT, wrote: |! |!|!On 22 Feb, |!|! John Rumm wrote: |!|! |!|!> John wrote: |!|!> |!|!> > Just had to have a new combi boiler fitted (Worcester Bosch) and the |!|!> > location of the boiler had to be changed in the garage due to current |!|!> > regs with flues being near to doors etc. Since this was done, we are |!|!> > getting loud knocking noises when both hot and cold taps are turned off |!|!> > suddenly. I've had a look at the ofefnding pipes which are in the garage |!|!> > near to the boiler and there is quite a lot of old piping which doesn't |!|!> > have regular brackets fixing it to the wall. Would fitting more brackets |!|!> > solve the problem or do I need to get some kind of valve fitted to stop |!|!> > the water hammer noise? If the latter is the case, it is likely to be |!|!> > expensive and would the boiler need draining as that would involve |!|!> > refilling with inhibitor? |!|!> |!|!> More supports will most probably improve thee situation. If that alone |!|!> does not fix the situation then fitting a shock arrestor ought to help. |!|!> These are easy enough to fit, but would require some draining down (and |!|!> hence inhibitor replacement) |!|! |!|!Why drain down the CH side? the problem appears to be on the potable warer |!|!side, so no inhibitor involved,. Clue -- happens when /cold/ water shut off |!|!quickly, as well as hot. |!|! |!|!I would try securing pipes, and if that is insufficient then a?shock |!|!arrestor. |! |!Thanks! but I have now shown that it is *definitely* the downstairs heating |!valve, by playing with the controls. |! |!The CH is grossly over powered for the radiators fitted, so there is much |!too much water being pumped around. Can you turn down the output of the CH |!pump? My boiler is a Baxi 105 Instant. |! |!I was also thinking of draining a bit of water out of the CH and adding new |!water, then some air would boil out into the radiators.

Sorry wrong thread :-(

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop