access chamber sealing gasket

I've an access chamber with a screwed down lid, with a sealing gasket to prevent contents/smells leaking out.

During a recent blockage it was leaking. It seems to be a soft black foam strip similar to draughtproofing strip, about 12mmx5mm glued in with what looks to be Evo Stick. It's been there about 15 years, and has perished.

What is the best material to replace this seal? I'm contemplating filling the groove with silicone clear sealer, levelling it off, and letting it cure, then fitting and screwing it down.

What does the assembled expertise consider to be the best method of sealing this cover?

Reply to
<me9

Insertion rubber is your friend.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Is that a technical GPO term for LRC's finest, as kept in the first aid cabinet for emergency use only?

Reply to
<me9

It's gasket material, as used for steam pipes and fittings...

Reply to
Frank Erskine