water hammer

Had a new pump installed on my, sealed gas, hot water system. I've been trying to balance the radiators. The pump has started vibrating on shut off. Is there any way of fixing this, without getting the plumber back.

Reply to
mmurph30

I've never understood, how can you bang nails in with a water hammer?

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Thats where you're going wrong. With a water hammer you don't bang the nails, you tap them.

Reply to
John Armstrong

all very entertaining, but doesn't sort my problem!

Reply to
mmurph30

Do you mean a gentle vibration as it turns off, or a frantic tear the place apart hammering as the thing desperately pumps water that has nowhere to go ?

Reply to
Mike

Freeze the water hammer :-)

/Morten

Reply to
Morten

Lol, now I know how to use a water hammer, thank you. :)

Sounds like your pipework is oscillating from the rotor unbalance vibration. I'd try

  1. Clamp the pipes firmly to the wall as close to the pump as poss
  2. Ditto a metre or so away as well
  3. Or maybe fit a better pump.

NT

Reply to