Wasps!

So what *you* say is that it's OK to kill anything you might personally be phobic about?

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Sorry, you've got me mixed up with someone-else or you've read far more into my post than you should.

*I* didn't say that at all.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Summers

However, they sometimes do get killed (by

Well I could have done without the experience that's for sure. I was actually happier than my wife was whan she was bitten all over her face by midges .. my daughter and I calling her a "witch with a worty face" didn't seem to help matters?

That's what I meant .. killing wasps to eat them .. what's the difference tween that and your chickens / goats (or prawns morelike)?

Better than in the bu .. no .. better not .. ;-)

Nice, you do that 'you will get a curse on you if you don't put a siver coin in my purse' with many things don't you Mary? I can't talk though .. our daughter was 12 before what I told her was 'her money box' was infact the gas meter ...

but it's not as easy as you suggested. I'd

Indeed, but you try telling the kids of today ....

Love ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

IME wasps don't need to

That page would be a dinner menu in some countries Rob!

I understand that ALL spiders bite and inject venom but not all (by any means) can get though our skin therefore won't (can't) hurt us. You can understand how some folk are unable to take the chance though?

The bit that follows re spider bites bothers some folk though (not me / in England as it happpens).

"However, some will, with results that are similar to a wasp or bee sting"

Even at that can be an issue for some folk .. it continues ..

"There is the chance that a person can have an allergic reaction to the venom."

How would we know if we are likely to be 'allergic' ?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Who get in the jar and drown. The only good wasp is a dead wasp.

Reply to
Huge

Why button thread? That's like a a ship's hawser round a puppy's neck!

Well, not so bad really, Tim, wasps are less likely to fly as far in town than they are in the country I'd have thought. More food left by humans ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Whereas humans don't need to be hungry to be aggressive - they just have to be frightened of an insect ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You don't - until you've been bitten or stung twice within a certain time period.

I am truly allergic to wasp and bee stings (that doesn't mean swelling by the way) but not every sting causes a reaction. It's really is very complicated.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I assumed you meant accidentally.

Why more likely prawns?

You obviously don't know about Wayland's Smithy ... it's nothing to do with cursing.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

They can smell your fear :-)

Bollocks - my SO worries about wasps so I am sometimes called to remove them and I've never been stung while gently shooing them away or even picking them up. Even when they do sting it's no big deal - unless you have a severe allergic reaction they're really not worth worrying about. They're actually rather cool litle beasties.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Do you think it would 'cotton on' and lead him astray Mary?

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I totally agree. We used to get them in the woodshed as a kid and they would sting as it was hot in there. Flapping about may well annoy them but plenty of other things do to. My Grandad kept 10 boxes of bees in the next property to us and I never was stung. They only got angry en masse in very hot weather and you just avoided them and hosed down the boxes to cool them. Wasps are a different beastie and very fond of stinging.

Evil wee stripy gits.

Reply to
Suz

:)

Not afraid of them, so maybe it's just the all-round whiff I have! ;)

Rob

Reply to
Rob Summers

It kneeded to be.

Tim Lamb isn't easy to lead astray.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah well, you might have something there. If you're exuding pheromones which mimic vespine alarm ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well, I think a wasp is more 'like' a prawn than a goat ..ok, prawns can't fly .. (I think goats can) .. ;-)

Didn't he play for Aresnal in the 50's? (Tell us then)

it's nothing to

A subject you know all to well .. being a Fish(er)wife ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I know your 'aroma' (and skin taste) affect whether (weather, wether?) a midge (and others no doubt) will bite or not. When in Scotland (wrong time wrong place) a few years back my missus got mullered by them, I was bitten a few times and our (young succulent) daughter was pretty well untouched? Maybe it's because kids don't wash (especially on holiday)! ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Tried have we Mary .. he could be happily married (or married at least) ;-)

T i m

(coat still on)

Reply to
T i m

: The advice that leave them alone and they'll leave you alone is, IME, : complete rubbish. Wasps are vindicative little critters.

Best treatment I ever found for 'em was soaking the byke (which was hanging from a tree over a river) in meths, letting it soakking in, then firing it. The few little sods who made it to the entrance did some spectacular flaming Roy Liechtenstein dives to their doom.

And I don't feel bad about it. They started it.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Tim Lamb doesn't follow like a sheep then? :-)

Reply to
BigWallop