washing machine valve

This week is the plumbing woes week it seems. The washing machine connector valve started leaking and I removed it to find its washer had split. It was old anyway and so I got a new one. The old olive ( the ring ) wouldnt come out and so I decided to leave it and not replace it. After fitting the new valve there is still a small drip but this time from the nut side. Any ideas ? Should I just put some sealant around this thing ?

Cheers VK

Reply to
call me VK

You should have used the split in the olive to remove it. Poke a screw driver blade in the split and twist it to break the old olive off the pipe. Then you can slip the new nut and olive over the pipe to fit the new valve head.

Reply to
BigWallop

So the washing machine valve is leaking from around the compression ring yes?

Simply undo the nut and wrap some PTFE (plumbers thread tape) around the olive (compression ring) a few times, this will seal any leaks when you screw the nut back up again!

Reply to
Dark Angel