Washing machine sizes

Is it possible to buy a washing machine that's a little smaller (shorter and narrower) than the usual size?

I ask because I have a space that's a very tight fit, and in particular doesn't offer adequate headroom to get a machine properly level beneath the worktop.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Look for 'compact' washing machines. That produced lots of hits in Google Shopping.

Reply to
tinnews

Take the lid off.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Thanks, that was useful. But sadly it seems that 'compact' means less wide and deep, which is OK, but not any shorter.

The problem is that the floor slopes up a little at the back, making the machine tip forward a little - and this makes the current machine leak.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Yes.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Bosch do some that are only 44cm deep, e.g. WLX24164GB but it's only

4.5kg capacity

I saw one in Costco the other day that had a 6kg capacity and was about 40cm deep, but I can't remember the make/model.

andrew

Possibly this one:

andrew

that's a nicely compact machine with a decent load - but still

85cm tall.

I don't think I am going to have much luck with the height issue. I guess I need one with particularly adjustable feet.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

alt.diy.gynecology is thater-way>>> Daniele ;-)

Reply to
Graham.

Are you sure it's the tipping which makes it leak? Maybe it just leaks.

I'm guessing that if the rear feet are screwed all the way in (made as short as possible), this is not enough to correct the tipping when the front feet are made as long as headroom will allow. If so, would it be possible to remove the rear feet altogether? This should gain you another few mm of headroom, which may well be enough.

Levelling the floor by cutting away the too-high bits at the back is unlikely to be feasible, or he would have done it.

Building a plinth (or even just placing a batten under the front feet) may cause the floor to be more level, but you haven't been paying attention, have you? His problem is that the front won't go high enough, but that's not because the front feet are too short, it's because the top of the machine hits the bottom of the worktop.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Could one not wither level the floor - or build a plinth to take out the slope?

Bosch do a top loading automatic which is 400mm wide (the drum axis is side to side rather than front to back - and there is a trap door in the side that allows access to the content.

Reply to
John Rumm

If it's a solid floor, levelling it to the front might be the best bet. A messy job but not difficult. If you can still get it under the worktop with longer front feet, the bolts they use are a standard diameter

Reply to
stuart noble

Daniele ... He?

But, as Skipweasel said, take the lid off.

That should give around 25mm extra clearance.

Reply to
Terry Casey

What's the floor, and who owns the house?

Might not be too hard to make the floor a little lower at the back.

Reply to
Clive George

In message , Terry Casey writes

Yes

Reply to
chris French

I wouldn't know about that, but the OP would seem to lack the balls to hack away at his floor.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Ah, you have crystal balls I suppose...?

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

I've considered cutting the floor (wooden floor tiles) away at the back, but it's not sensible; just imagine the rear feet of the machine getting jammed under them.

The worktop can't be raised.

Since it's a rented house, I don't want to leave the tenants with a washing machine without its top cover.

One way or another, I've had quite enough of the current machine and its leaky ways (apparently, it's feature of these Baumatics that the incoming watertakes every opportunity to trickle forwards along the underside of the soap tray, then down the inside of the front panel onto the floor).

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

The Bosch machines (including the 44cm deep one) have an optional thinner metal top cover - look in the instructions for fitting under a worktop. That makes it 800mm total height I think, but I don't know what they cost.

andrew

Thanks, just the information I needed.

Daniele

Reply to