Washing machine size

My existing washing machine is a built-in model, 15 years old, and failed today. I'm not keen on spending anything on one that old, so need a replacement.

It is installed very tightly between the dishwasher and a unit, and is pretty much an interference fit in the gap, which is barely 600mm, if that.

Ideally I need one with a max width of 595mm, but I don't know of anybody who quotes much besides the standard 600mm.

Any bright ideas, apart from liberal lubrication and significant force?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I have a feeling many of the so called 600mm ones are in fact around

595mm - i.e. designed to fit into a 600mm gap.

(just had a look on ao.com, and when you can find the right bit of detail (Product Specification -> Product Detail) - and one was 595, another 598 in my random sample of two)

Reply to
John Rumm

My recentish Indesit is specified as 595mm, if anything it's 1mm shy of that.

Andy Burns

Go into Currys with a tape measure

Reply to
charles

At argos.com, generally Bosch are 598mm, Haier 56cm, and Miele 596mm. I'd check at the manufacturer's websites for better accuracy. However, one certain way would be if you've got a Curry's nearby (or other retailer). Take a tape measure along and check the width of the washing machines on display yourself.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

They are nearly always 595 IME

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

595mm on the button. Good machine, good warranty
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just watch the depth. 8kg, 9kg and 10kg machines often have different depths.

Reply to
alan_m

I once did that with a piece of cardboard bread-sized.

It confirmed that nothing they sold toasted bread properly. However you could have your useless toaster in any colour you liked.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

That looks like the way I will have to go.

If I don't get it right, I wonder how ridiculous it would be trying to gain a little more space.

The kitchen layout is shown here:

The arrangement is sink, dishwasher, washing machine, unit. The unit is only about 300 mm deep. Could I reduce its 15mm chipboard side thickness, in situ, by a couple of mm? I think I would have to buy something new to do it - maybe router or power plane?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Fuck all use if you don't have a faeces book account

Just buy a standard 595 unit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Even if you do "the content isn't available"

Reply to
alan_m

I don't have a facebook account and I had no problem viewing the photos.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

A power plane would do it, but as you'll be taking off the melamine facing layer you're open to weakening the chipboard and possibly allowing damp to enter. I think you'd be better off getting a washing machine that fits the space. It might be worth checking the width of the current space top and bottom, front and back, just to ensure that whatever you buy will fit. When I replaced the washing machine in our kitchen, I found it wouldn't fit because the front-bottom was 10mm narrower than front-top, where I'd measured! Fortunately I was able to move the bottom of the dividing chipboard out 10mm.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

They stole it already?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Initially I couldn't see them, but seems to have been fixed.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have to agree with you. The trouble is that, even if I am able to see one that seems suitable, generally it won't be that one that gets shipped to me, and how many manufacturers are willing to guarantee their dimensions to the mm?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I'd be very surprised if the dimensions varied by more than a fraction of a mm. The machines would be very tightly specced and some would be assembled automatically. The robots couldn't deal with screws a mm or two out of where they are supposed to be. I reckon you could measure dozens of machines and not find any difference between them.

You could always go to the shop and ask for the display model that you'd measured!

Reply to
Jeff Layman

It shows for me.

Reply to
SteveW

The ones described as 'integrated' all seem to be 595

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname