Washing machine recommendations please

Washing machine recommendations please This will be my third machine, the previous two have lasted 15 years each, with zero engineers costs as I have been able to DIY all repairs that were necessary.

So with the above in mind as my expectation for the new one, what recommendations do the group have as to what to look at and what to avoid?

Reply to
Graham.

Graham. wibbled on Sunday 13 December 2009 15:36

Miele if you want to last by itself and do its job exceedingly well (I have a washing machine).

Bosch Logixx if you still want it to work very well and want easy access to parts diagrams and spare parts if you do need to fix it (have dishwasher - have done repairs and bought parts)

HTH

Reply to
Tim W

Miele.

Mine came with a free, manufacturer's 10 year warranty - i.e you phone the Miele service centre, and the Miele bloke in the Miele van comes round your gaff and fixes it - and no bill.

Internal construction is like the engine bay on a quality car.

Reply to
dom

Have a look at the LG Direct Drive ones. Only a few moving parts and a 10 year guarantee on the motor.

We have had one for two months now and it is a joy to use. Particularly as it is almost silent in use.

Reply to
ericp

...unless you have cats.

We had an engineer out to look at ours twice under warranty as it was misbehaving - resetting itself, stopping and starting etc - but the guy couldn't find anything wrong. Eventually we cottoned on that our two bloody cats were jumping up on to the utility room worktop and pressing the Logixx's touch-sentsitive buttons on the way up.

We now keep an old 3'-square panel of contiboard on top of the machine, ie within the small gap below the worktop; and pull this out a few inches each time we use the machine, to protect the 'operating panel'.

Haven't had any trouble since! And it's an excellent machine BTW.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Lobster wibbled on Sunday 13 December 2009 16:32

That's a good one!

Haven't had that issue - my dishwasher has actual buttons which are shielded when the door's closed. Don't have cats. Do have sprogs. Same issues...

That's one little feature I do like about the Miele. It's got a big knob on the front. It's a well known fact that

male + knob = random fiddling when no one's looking

The miele locks off the knob after about 5 (or 10) minutes. Even better, it then flashes an LED to let you know matey's been fiddling and carries on with the original programme.

Simple feature, few dozen lines of code I expect in the firmware, but priceless.

Reply to
Tim W

Yes, I went for that too. £800, but not having to think about it for 10 years convinced me. Considerably quieter than the old one too, which is important to me

Reply to
Stuart Noble

If you've got the money, miele. If not, bosch. ISE are overly expensive and not time proven, but might prove very good.

NT

Reply to
NT

Miele. £550 upwards

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Me too. Had it about 2 years now. Probably does 10-15 washes a week. Very, very quiet.

Reply to
Grant

Yes but what's that got to do with the switches on the front of washing machines?

David

Reply to
Lobster

I have seen a couple of these, broken, on Freecycle. That's a bit worrying because they haven't been around very long. I asked one "seller" about the 10 year warranty and he just laughed - he said the motor was fine but everything else just fell apart.

He'd had one repair - not the motor - under the warranty but the second time it failed, about 18 months from new, LG refused to fix it at all - even if they were paid - because it was "beyond economic repair". LG's advice was to buy a new one.

So the "seller" did exactly that. He bought a new Miele. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

NT wibbled on Sunday 13 December 2009 17:52

I'll just mention again: if Bosch, stick with the Logixx. Classix and Excell are the poor man's Bosch and less typical of the standards usually associated with German engineering (neither are built in Germany - Logixx are, or at least were last time I checked).

Reply to
Tim W

Lobster wibbled on Sunday 13 December 2009 18:51

2 hours 19 minutes. Bit slow... Come on chaps ;->
Reply to
Tim W

The Natural Philosopher wibbled on Sunday 13 December 2009 18:11

I noticed when researching my washing machine that Miele's bottom of the range stuff is (was) fairly comparable in features with Bosch's high end so the price difference isn't as wild as might be expected. And the Miele is still better built.

Of course, you'd need a remortgage to get Miele's top end stuff!

Reply to
Tim W

The dishwasher is pissing water out of its base. Miele indicated there as well I think, too.

The amount of wasted TIME this crap white goods causes is immense.

It reminds me of British Leyland when VW, BMW and Mercedes arrived. What? A car that doesn't break down? that does 150,000 miles without new bearings? Unthinkable!

Its the cultural difference, Britain is run by bullshit artists and bean counters, so 'build cheap..., and pretend' is the natural way to go.

Angela Merkel has IIRC an engineering degree 'build right, and charge what it costs'.

When you buy a product, you are spending money on two sorts of people., those that built and designed it, and those who sell and market it. Make sure you spend on the former, rather than the latter.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Go to John Lewis

- Check if the Siemens has 5yr warranty for about =A3488

- Save =A3312 over a Miele

The Miele are good, but best when the slightly older "Prestige" with

5yr was about =A3489-549, it seems better built on controls and drum than the new (and often cheaper) "designer-front" model. Like the older Miele cleaners were tougher in feel than the latest designer versions (which tend to be quieter I will admit).

Any of the top brand washers have one short-coming - they are about

300lb in weight so beware (cold fill too, so prepare accordingly).
Reply to
js.b1

physics

Reply to
djc

A Miele or a Bosch Logixx.

Don't bother with the Bosch Clasixx and Excell stuff.

Reply to
David

Physics is: spend any amount of money, produce something that is completely useless then claim that the money was well spent because it was all "good science".

Reply to
Bruce