Washing machine leak - Help please

Before I call an engineer just a quick couple of questions.

Hotpoint WMA60P First I think the leak is coming from up near the bearings, it is a dirty brown colour. I have had lower back cover off and it appears to be running down rear of the drum. Bit noisy too.

Given this I'm assuming the job is not worth tackling myself.

Could it be something less drastic than the bearings?

do a £35 callout + £55 fixed fee repair including parts. This is the way I will go unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Any opinions welcome?

Reply to
BigBird

Sounds like the seal has gone on the drum bearing. Unfortunately, this has probably caused the bearing to corrode causing the noise you can hear.

Whilst it is theoretically possible to replace the seal and re-lubricate the bearing I'd advise replacing the bearing at the same time. The bearing won't add much to the bill as the labour involved is about the same in both cases.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

Do they have a clause about "beyond economic repair" in their callout terms? If it costs too much, they may try and get out of it, and just charge you the £35.

A mate of mine had the bearing done, and loads of places said they didn't want the work cos it involves so much stripping down. Cost him about £150 on a Zanussi machine.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith (UK)

Had a complete new drum assembly fitted today £90 all inclusive. Can't say I'm unhappy with that.

Reply to
BigBird