Wallpapering question

I agree.

My experience of anaglypta has always been on walls which had already been sized - or ones I have sized with traditional hot size. Haven't done any for years but just typing that bronzing back the somewhat animal smell. Can you still buy it? Then LAP cold water starch paste for the anaglypta itself..

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Thanks. I'm going to emulsion first, which seems to be the majority recommendation.

Reply to
Scott

Not necessarily. If the filled area is porous it can suck the water out of the paste in that area long before the paste has a opportunity to stick the paper to the wall. More so if it a paste the wall type paper[1]. This can result in a large bubble in the finished decoration.

[1] I'm becomming a fan of paste the wall/ceiling type paper which is a lot easier to hang BUT the use of a paste suitable for the task after thoroughly sizing with the same is required.

I'm currently using

alan_m

As I responded, I was thinking that it was being suggested to paste the wall, LET IT DRY, then paste the paper and hang. Effectively using a bit of paste as a size.

On reflection, that might not have been the intention.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Emulsioning won't do any harm but still paste the wall and the paper. Belt and braces.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

Part3

Andy Burns

The original problem was that the retail cost £35 in B&Q and the trade version £108 (after the discount) in a Dulux store.

B&Q are selling the trade version at £48

The video may explain why one paint is better than another but not why someone was ripped off by £60 for 10L

Or is there a difference between trade and "retail trade"?

Reply to
alan_m

Thanks for spotting that. Interesting, confirmed what I'd already observed about interior emulsion. Less clear for the Weathershield.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No the Weathershield stuff at the end for £48 is retail (the tub has the Dulux Dog on it...).

The Retail v Trade interior emulsion differences were explained quite well. The differences between Retail and Trade Weathershield were not really explained at all. Unless one makes the dangerous assumption that what applies to emulsion also applies to the Weathershield...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Er no...

alan_m

Friend of mine used to work at the Teesside Tioxide plant, it's about $150/tonne, so I doubt extra pigment explains the huge price difference.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not the paints shown at the end of the video. B-)

The end of the video shows:

Dulux Trade Weathershield Smooth Masonary paint (store coloured) £108 Dulux Weathershield All Weather Protection (ready coloured) £33 Dulux Weathershield Ultimate Protection (ready colured) £44

The B&Q "trade" is ready coloured which is cheaper than store coloured as the base for store coloured has to be full "strength". Not that difference gets anywhere close to explaining the £100+ price tag, which the video doesn't answer.

I've got to admit that the listed price hike for the store coloured, or even ready coloured, "trade" Weathershield from a Dulux Decorator Centre is, er, "excessive". I suspect that there are generous discounts available if you're in there every week buying housefuls of paint.

Just like the listed price of a drum of 2.5 mm T&E from CEF is some stupid price (or used to be) but never what anybody paid, even if you just walked in off the street.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I did both. Emulsion over the plaster first then a coat of paste, which I left to dry before eventually papering.

Reply to
Scott

That's what I did - preceded by emulsion.

Reply to
Scott

Dulux's reply

Andy Burns