Voltage optimisers

Except the power transferred into a resistive load would also change in the same ratio, so no extra loss.

Agreed, but these are generally low power.

The SMPUS might also be less stressed from working in its design range and last longer.

Most small synchronous motors are very lossy, and designed to produce the specced torque at lowest mains voltage, where they are likely to run most efficiently producing least waste heat.

I don't think you have thought this through.

Reply to
Fredxx

Tell that to a kettle.

Reply to
ARW

Surely you want the opposite to correction. You could ensure that everything is inductive in some way, like using heat pumps to heat things - and they (magically) are a lot more than 100% efficient in any case.

Reply to
Max Demian

A kettle will use MORE eletricity due to MORE losses due to the longer time it takes to boil. Ditto immersion heaters. Cookers that have thermostats to reach a particular tempeartuire will use no less electricity. Hiar driers that fail to fry will use moire as it will take longer..

Run away now.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We used to have an auto version of that device in TV studios in the '60s to regulate tech mains. But could up the voltage as well as reduce it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Fredxx submitted this idea :

Reduced loss, but the losses will occur for additional time.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Are you saying that ohms law is broken?

I accept the loss from an increase boil time for a kettle, however the same resistive divider (between wiring resistance and kettle resistance) will apportion power in the same way for 230V and 250V.

Reply to
Fredxx

Their method of calculating any saving for their guarantee is interesting :-

" in order to provide a formal savings guarantee we need the following information.

12 months? worth of electrical consumption data, in the form of: Copies of electricity bills and half hourly metering data (if an half hourly meter supply) The sites voltage profile over a week, suitable data loggers are to be installed An accurate profile of the types of equipment used on site

Once accepted this information forms the basis of our calculations and the savings guarantee so cannot be adjusted or disputed. Measuring and quantifying the results of voltage optimisation can be very difficult with dynamic loads. You cannot simply compare last month?s bill without the optimiser, with this month?s bill with the optimiser, as this does not take the variable into account. Generally there are two methods for establishing the savings percentages:

The simplest option is for you to evaluate three month?s worth of half hour data from before and after the installation of the ECO-MAX, considering whether the site loading has changed. For example you may have installed or removed equipment, changed your operating hours or experienced an increase in production levels; even the weather or other external influences may affect your electrical consumption. All these need to be considered when assessing the savings.

Another method is to use a standard Measurement & Verification Protocol, to perform ?on-off? tests under comparable load conditions and measure the differential in kW and/or kWh consumption between the connected equipment when supplied via grid voltage and optimised voltage respectively. Repeating this a number of times over a given period will provide ?snap shot? comparisons of consumption with and without ECO-MAX. The average difference between the two figures is the percentage reduction in energy consumption, which is used to extrapolate the savings over a year. To measure the savings in this way requires that you specify and implement in intelligent ?i? version ECO-MAX optimiser. These optimisers offer the facility to seamlessly switch between optimised (saving) and grid voltages under load conditions without interrupting the power to the connected equipment."

Reply to
Peter Parry

it does but that's countereffective. I used to use a transformer to boost filament lamps, thereby reducing life, increasing efficacy & reducing TCO. And it meant one could get more light from a given fitting. I called it economy 24.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Kettles & immersions operate differently. Immersions on reduced V see less heat loss because the water is below set temp for longer during each reheat cycle, so they eat marginally less energy, but only because the water isn' t upto temp some of the time. Kettles OTOH have longer to lose heat so are less efficient.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com laid this down on his screen :

I fail to see how you arrived at that conclusion, the longer the immersion takes to heat the water up to to temperature, the more heat will be lost whilst heating it up. In an extreme case, it would be lost as quickly as heat were input and so never switch off. That takes no account of how quickly heat is lost after the heat is switched off.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

And of course pretty well all modern lights - LED or CFL - never give the same output as the tungsten they claim to replace.

You'd think since they are more efficient, no need to lie.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Peter Parry was thinking very hard :

So lots of get outs then if it doesn't provide the economy they say?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

What you say there is true of kettles. But immersion heated cylinders stay hot all the time. Thus lower heater power means a temperature dip for lnoger, which means less loss.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Promoters mislead as a matter of routine. It backfired on CFL sales of course.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Promoters? The so called equivalent is often on the maker's literature or packaging. So can't be blames solely on advertisers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ya wuss, spec says 18kg!

Reply to
Fredxx

If you reduce the voltage on a resistive load, less current will flow. But for longer. So there will be no additional losses in the wiring.

But if it takes longer to heat a tank of water say to a set point there will be increased losses from the tank.

Reply to
harry

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote on 05/05/2018 :

No, sorry I cannot agree - think it through...

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield was thinking very hard :

I agree, which is what I attempted to explain above..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield