VM modem reset ? (bit OT)

Anyone else get a Virgin Media modem reset last night ? Today, my entire network was down, although the computer in here that's hardwired to the modem, still had normal 'net access. When I came to try to reconnect any of the network devices, 'my' wireless modem was nowhere to be seen in the list, although there were two called "Virgin Media" followed by a long number, that I had never seen in the list before. I called my mate who works for them, and he suggested that I browsed to the modem and went into its wifi configuration settings to see what had happened. When I did this, it turned out that one of the two that I had seen in the list, was the SSID of my modem. The WAP password was some string of alpha-numeric nonsense, that presumably was a factory default.

So I had to rename it back to what it was, and reset the password key to what it was. All of my network devices were then able to reconnect, and everything was fine. I might have thought that perhaps some random event had reset my modem alone, but the fact that there was another in the list also called "Virgin Media" with a similar - but different - string of numbers to mine, would indicate that a nearby neighbour had also suffered a similar reset.

My mate said that maybe they had done some sort of overnight upgrade to their network that had resulted in modems being reset back to their factory defaults, but he hadn't heard of anything. I've been with VM right back to the days of NTL before they even took it over, and I have never had anything like this happen before. I wasn't even aware that there was any route from the outside where they could get at stuff like user-set SSIDs and passwords.

Anyone else on VM have anything like this happen last night, or had it happen before ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Well funny you should say this as over the weekend the filehippo.com upate checker refused to work, People on non virgin networks could get it to work. On Monday sometime my connection was odd so I pulled the plug on modem and router and restarted and the filehippo problem was gone and the connection OK again. Quite what the reasons or which thing caused what is not clear, but the fact is something odd has been going on with Virgin networks and it seems random issues have been the outcome.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No need to reboot here. At least I don't thin...

Reply to
polygonum

similar reset.

Not here. Just on my iPad which has connected to the usual wifi network :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

In article , Arfa Daily scribeth thus

You've been hacked, as Dennis has been out and about;!!...

Reply to
tony sayer

¿Que?
Reply to
Robin

"You're Me, You Are".

Reply to
Huge

You're Muppet you are

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As the OP was using the Virginmedia superhub, they could buy a decent router (or build one, or whatever) and switch the superhub into modem mode.

just get one IP then (not static, but very rare it changes even with power cycles IME).

Avoids the need to double NAT, and avoids most of the bugs in the superhub (it's getting better but...).

Also, Virginmedia (and before them NTL, and before them C&W here) have always put some limits on the ips you can use internally. Wierd stuff happens if you use 192.168.100.1 for example (the modem steals that normally).

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Reply to
Java Jive

When VM upgraded me end of last year, they sent the cheaper router/modem, which refused to allow me to allocate 192.168.1.x addresses, which is how my network was set up. It had a DMZ setting, but that had a fixed IP which didn't suit me. In the end I returned it, and for some reason got a superhub, which I immediately put into modem-only mode, and haven't heard a squeak since.

I had quite a testy exchange with the VM droid, who tried to say I shouldn't be using 192.168.1.x as it was "special".

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Yep. Definitely looks as though they were doing something then. You'd think that if nothing else, they would tell their staff, as I'm sure that many folks' wifi networks are just set up by the installation bloke, and the customer would just see an unfixable problem with their network when they tried to connect, resulting in lots of service calls. Unless of course it was an upgrade of which this was an unforeseen side effect ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily