Venting bathroom extractor through roof

I don't think my builder quite understood what I wanted. When I told him that it wasn't acceptable that my bathroom extractor vented into the loft and there should be a hose to the outside, he used a piece of solid pipe going straight up. This means that rain, other inclement weather, insects etc can come in.

For the avoidance of doubt in the future, what should I specify? It seems sensible to me to vent out of the side of the roof, not the top, and to put some sort of mesh on the other end of the hose to prevent insects etc.

I know this may seem simple, but I've never done this before, and apparently nor has my roofer. *sigh* Any assistance appreciated - if anyone has any links to the usual products used here that would be good.

Reply to
TD

A louvre vent on the soffit[1] is the easiest way - that way its not exposed to rain etc and does not need to pierce the tiles etc.

[1] i.e. the horizontal flat surface behind the facias along the top of the walls under the roof overhang.
Reply to
John Rumm

Or does the loft have any external walls (gables)? If so you can put a hole in the wall and use that, with a louvre thingy on the outside. That's wot I did.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yup, if you have a gable you can fit a vent with back draft prevention flaps as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

We have this situation and the builder fitted a plastic fitting to the top that has a cap over it with holes in the sides that projects about a foot above the slates. I think they are called mushroom caps.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

In article , TD writes

As already stated, a soffit exit is by far the neatest. Good practice to also include an anti back draught device in the duct which must be fitted vertically upwards to ensure that the (gravity) flaps close reliably eg:

fred

Our bloke just fitted in the roof a jobby that from a distance is indistinguishable from a tile - it replaces a tile. See here:

It's the Plain Tile Vent @ £18.50 (obviously use one that matches your tiles). The underneath has a rectangular outlet for which there is an adapter to go to the circular cross-section flexible hose. Then you have a fan at the ceiling end with a non-return flap (or whatever it's called).

Reply to
Tim Streater

In article , fred writes

horizontal use (called dampers here):

fred

That's Peyronie's disease:-)

Reply to
ARW

bother with the back draught shutter.

Of course you said "good practice":-)

Reply to
ARW

'Tis a sheltered location right enough but it is kinda windy up here :-)

Reply to
fred

Thanks, and thanks to all others who responded in the thread. Very useful information indeed.

Reply to
TD