Vinyl tiles on hardboard over underlay ??

What do people think of fixing hardboard down OVER carpet underlay as a base for vinyl tiles ?

I have a large kitchen/diner with sisal carpet and the rubber underlay has been firmly glued to the wooden floor for 10 years. No way will it lift off the floor without scraping off in bits, although the carpet peels off the underlay reasonably well.

Thanks

Robert

royall (at)clara (dot) co ( dot ) uk

Reply to
nospam

Well, if you must, but I would think a good thickness of ply will be better than hardboard.

HTh Rob

Reply to
Kalico

The hire shops have a machine specifically designed to strip nasties off floors - much better to get it off I think.

Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thanks for the advice have now decided to go for Kardean tiles so I'll try the garden spade and hoe first and then if necessary the "machine".

Kardean tile seem far cheaper mail order than locally - is this just market forces or is there a catch ?

Robert

Reply to
nospam