Vibration/Noise from Metal Gate Hinge

Next door have an ironwork gate between their house and ours. The hinges are mounted on our wall - (brick built). When they slam the gate there is an awful clang, rattle and vibration.

I am thinking of volunteering to seat the hinge brackets on some flexible vibration/noise absorbent material - foam rubber or the like.

Do people think it will make any difference? - if so what material would you suggest?

Reply to
PeteR

================================== Leave the hinges as they are but attach rubber buffers (small round door stops) or a rubber strip to the bolt side of the gate. Experiment with a few of these to see what works best.

It might help in the long run to remove the gate and re-fix on 3" wooden posts.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

PeteR presented the following explanation :

You could mount it on a solid rubber block, such that the gate hinge fixing was separated from the fixing of the block to the wall. The biggest difference you could make would be to add a rubber cushion of some sort to the gates closure to prevent the clang as it closes.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield