Gate hinge nuts

I have a gate hinge which is supplied with a long double strap that fits along and over the top horizontal member of the gate and is bolted through it. The nuts supplied are a circular, threaded dome shape with a hexagon nut with a clearance hole fixed to the apex by a narrow collar. I assume you're supposed to tighten them until the hexagon shears off for security, but they are quite tight enough without (the yoke is designed for three inch sawn wood and the gate is planed) and I have no security concerns. Have I understand them right?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Not grammar have done, though.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Cone nuts as used on metal palisade fencing. You are right about the hex portion shearing the issue then is if you need to do a repair the only way off is to grind them off. If you do not need to have that security then I would suggest ordinary nuts or nylocs. For a little further security once tightened drill a hole through the nut and the bolt and insert a decent cotter pin.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Can't simply use a spanner to undo the nut. Just makes it a bit harder for the tealeaf so they move on to easier pickings.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk>, Jimk snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Huh! Someone stole two of mine last year. A 4 ft. bridleway gate disappeared altogether followed by the top yoke of a second gate (actually supplied by Herts. CC). A replacement cost £8.00!

The first gate was subsequently found abandoned with the yoke missing. Wrong size? Clearly some paddock owner needed the part but didn't have the wit to go out and purchase one:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yup.

Reply to
Jimk

Yebbut he's on about using nylocs & then cross drilling & putting a cotter pin through?? I'm wondering what that adds security wise....

Reply to
Jimk