Soundproofing my floor against low frequency humming/vibration from below.

I live in a flat above an office which has recently installed new computers, etc, in the office. These computers give off a low frequency hum that travels up through the floor and maybe up the walls. I think the hum could be vibrational as well. I was considering buying a product ( 1.2 metre sq sheets of dense foam between two layers of "barrier shield", 10mm thick and 5kg in weight) which is stuck to the floorboards to dampen sound. But at almost =A3600 I want to be certain it would stop the noise (airborne and vibrational). Would this product be affective? Are their any other cheaper, guarranteed solutions? I'm only allowed to lay stuff ON the floorboards, not UNDER it. Any advice would be welcomed as I am currently having little sleep.

Reply to
hurricane_226

In message , hurricane snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

What is the product. I have used reduc strata in a couple of my flats which have made a massive difference. Search for it on the web. I used the 35mm stuff, and it cost around £30 per sq.m.!!

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Earplugs, or just wait until you get used to it.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Complain to the owners first and suggest they switch 'em off overnight. This is an office after all, so for 2/3rds of the day the computers are using power for no good reason. People don't think PC's use much power but smallish loads 24/7 soon mount up. 100W for 10hrs is a unit so thats 2.4units/day or around 15p/day (=A355/year) when they= could be only spending 8 x .1 x 6 =3D 5p/day (=A318/year) per "PC"...

OK a normal PC is not likely to take 100w but a decent one won't be that far short but I doubt that the owners will know that. Ask how big the PSUs are (300W, 400W?) divide by two for a margin and use that figure. B-)

If that fails try your local Enviromental Health department but be warned they probably won't under stand LF noise properly. Most EHO seem to think that if you can't hear it it doesn't matter, so any problems with LF vibration maybe quite a battle.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Have you tried asking the operators of the office if they could fit quieter fans into the computers they leave on overnight? It may not be possible, particularly if they rent the equipment, but fitting Vantec Stealth fans dramatically cut the noise from my server without affecting its cooling.

Nuisance noise is frequently airborne, so the first thing to do is to check whether there are air paths that the noise can be taking. Gaps in the floorboards or open windows / ventilators that are too close (

Reply to
nightjar

computer fans are small and generally don't put out much noise at low frequencies so the hum could be air conditioning units fixed to the walls either internal or external. If so the best solution is to get the owner to have these mounted on rubber vibration insulation feet.

rusty

Reply to
Rusty

In my experience that's the very worst kind of noise pollution. I stayed in a Radisson a couple of years ago where there was a constant low thrum from, presumably, the airconditioning. Awful, pain inducing. It was only one night though ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Which is a reason to leavae em on, especially in winter.

Free heating at someone elses expense...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher