that sound like an attic fan
I have a renter upstairs in my home recently. He has all kinds of electronics. My home was built in late 50's. I am experiencing a constant humming noise and vibration enough to keep me up at night. This has started since he moved in. I have hardwood flooring and there is nothing inbetween the floor but empty space... I have asked him to turn everything completely off on his huge power supply strip. I know he isn't doing this and I am getting concerned not only for my sleep sanity, but wondering if this is overload on my electrical outlets causing it or just echoing because of the flooring?
Miserable in my own home :(
As long as the circuit breakers are not tripping, you should be fine - supposedly there's no overload as such, else the breakers would do their job and break the circuit. As far as the actual source of the noise - it really has to be something that has a motor inside. A powerful transformer may hum too, but your inside wiring wouldn't support a transformer powerful enough to produce a loud hum. So, you're most likely looking for a device with a fan, probably a small floor-standing space heater.
By the way, over time fan blades on those floor-standing space heaters attract dirt, dust and fibers and become dis-balanced thus increasing the noise and vibrations. If you let it go on for a long time, it may also become a fire hazard. What you describe sounds like you're at least half way there, so I would make an effort to check for his space heaters or any other device with a fan that can be left running unattended.Â Â