Vacuum from a 12v tyre inflator?

However it very much depends on how the air intake works. I guess you might be able to make a seal around the device in some way so only the out going air is going to the outside world and everything else is connected to a pipe. I do hope none of what you are trying to suck out is liquid or flammable or there might be a nasty accident. Somebody I know had an old vacuum cleaner which he removed the filters from and tried to use it to remove gas and it caught fire and melted its compressor due to the gas or vapour being flammable and the motor being a brushed type. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Yes. The alternative is a domestic refrigerator compressor which will pull a near vacuum.

Reply to
harry

The video showed an electric motor driving a small piston, there were two one way valves in the cylinder, one in, the other out, modification consisted of cutting off the pipework from the output side and attaching new pipework to the inlet side ... the gas doesn't get sucked through the motor.

Reply to
Andy Burns

alan_m used his keyboard to write :

Thanks - I have found a way to modify one....

Its not for continuous use, just long enough to pull a bit of vacuum in a demi-john or a 5 gallon container for a few seconds, then release.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Often its a good thing in beer,

Reply to
alan_m

Indeed, Newsy. And for very small volumes like this, some sort of hand operated pump would be far more effective and convenient.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Reversing the motor will have no effect, as it just drives a reciprocating piston in a tube with non-reverse valves to create blowing rather than sucking.

Reply to
Dave W

Probably the case , I thought after I pressed send it was too simplistic and rather than add a NRV he should see if the existing one can be turned around.

Looks like the OP has found a solution anyway. Personally I would get a cheap aquarium air pump as they are very easy to reverse the valves on and no faffing around with getting 12 volts, just plug it in .

GH

Reply to
Marland