Tiling

Well, related!

The corridor to our garden storage (brick garage cut off by extension) includes an inspection manhole.

I have replaced the cast iron circular unsealed cover with a sealed version topped with a square lift off cover having raised sides. This is intended to be tiled to match the floor covering.

The lift off bit is strong galvanised steel with reinforcing indentations which reduce the depth in places from 45mm to around 35mm.

The original plan was to continue the floor screed leaving around 12mm for ceramic tiles. However, sand/cement screed 33mm thick or less on a removable cover struck me as being a bit delicate.

I can probably find some reinforcing mesh to stiffen it up but has anyone tried this sort of job?

I have some plastic *isolating* mesh unused from the wet room job but at

6mm or so thick worry that this will further reduce rigidity. Googling found lots of tile cements which are OK up to 25mm thickness. Is that the way to go?

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

At 33mm I would be stringly tempted to forget the screed and simply use a tile cement to make up the difference. Or screw some one inch poly on top and tile that with a thick cement bed.

Almost any way to fill the gap EXCXEPT screed. Screed is mechanivcally weak. It's ponly virtue is low cost. For a small area use something else. Car body filler? :-)

Ive used up to 4" of tile cement! Ardurit rapid set. Not in one go though. I used to dob the bits that were going off in the lowest places. By the time I got to tile those bits it was all a bit motre near the right height.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Perhaps an initial layer at 25mm plus some reinforcing mesh and tile on top when it sets off.

I'm only 2 weeks into drying off the main screed and the tiles come from Italy. Delaying Brexit has benefits:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb