vacuum cleaner motor reversal?

My parents had a cylinder vac when I was a toddler and passed it on to me when I bought a house. It must have been over 30 years old when it gave up (it had been running for years with two blades missing from one of its impellers - one I removed to balance it up when it lost one).

That vac had the same hose fitting on each end, so switching it to blow just meant pulling the hose from one end (pull back the release ring and it just came out) and putting it in the other end, so it took just a couple of seconds.

No filters to remove - it just had a cloth bag.

Blow was mainly used by us to try and shift something that was stuck in the hose, but it was actually intended for air powered tools - such as the spray gun that could be attached to the hose.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I'm impressed you replied to a 2008 post.

Reply to
Fredxx

Yep parents had an electrolux cylinder, there was a never-used spray-gun attachment with it that used a glass jar, but mainly the blow end was used to eject sucked-up socks from the hose.

Reply to
Andy Burns

It doesn't much matter which way the motor rotates, a vacuum uses an axial fan, so air will still flow the same way. Besides, you cannot reverse a 240v motor, by simply swapping the L an N over.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

yes, you can, if its a universal motor (with carbon brushes and field windings) and you only swap either the field or the brushes

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher presented the following explanation :

True, but not by simply swapping the L and N input as the OP was suggesting.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Centrifugal, not axial. Axial do reverse flow when you reverse direction. Centrifugals just lose efficiency.

But you can reverse the supply to either the field or the rotor - assuming an old, brushed motor.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yes, sorry, you are correct.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Was an attempt at spamming his link, he is not reading this.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

We had one of those. Wish I could remember the make. We also used the spray gun attachment.

Reply to
bert

Everyone makes mistakes. At least you knew there was a difference.

Reply to
Steve Walker

This was the one we had

Andy Burns

The hose and fitting look very similar, as does the red (metal?) casing, although ours was blue. The white ends are a little different, the inlet end being black and a little more rounded. The outlet end also being black. I can't see the outlet end, but ours had a cast metal section, with knurled screw in the centre. Ours also did not have the handle on top, instead having a luggage type one - a horizontal strap, with the ends in metal covers - along the top of the casing. Underneath are a pair of metal skids.

Reply to
Steve Walker

We had a Hoover Portable in Orange.

Also had a blowing function, ye move the hose to another port on the case. I remember air that came out of there was rather hot.

Independence Day 2018 Special Part Two Hoover Portable Cleaning Center

Adrian Caspersz

My mother's one was even older than that. ISTR the hose could be plugged in the other end to operate the paint sprayer.

My one attempt at spraying cellulose found a large quantity of hair etc. from the filter bag embedded in the finish:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I remember my father using the attachment to our Electrolux to spray paint.

We also had one in Physics classes at school to levitate ping-pong balls to demonstrate Bernoulli's effect.

Brian

Reply to
brian