vacuum cleaner motor reversal?

Dave Liquorice submitted this idea :

A small hairspring within the drive linkage which allowed it to wind itself up and some sort of pawl to stop it if it tried to go the wrong way. If on switch on it tried to go the wrong way it would wind the hairspring up to the point where it would have enough force to spin itself in the correct direction.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Does that make us a sad pair for finding out? :-)

Reply to
Dave

All I've had have rotated each time in the opposite direction to the previous run. Bar one, which didn't have a turntable, but stirred the waves instead.

Reply to
<me9

Thanks to all who replied, but it looks like a non-starter....I may just take the motors out and make something completely different, but knowing me, they'll stay on the shelf in the shed gathering dust until the day I pop my clogs, when one of my relatives will probably say, 'he was going to do something with those but never got around to it'.

Reply to
Phil L

I'd never noticed that until somebody (Huge?) mentioned it a while back. I had noticed it vary in direction, but assumed it was more or less random.

Not that I'm a great user of tinywobblers...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Clearly I've lead a sheltered life. ;-) Of course we have been using the same Toshiba microwave for over 20 years (that's been nicked once and dropped on a building site) so I suppose I shouldn't extrapolate from my experience.

Anyone using an older microwave?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

In message , Tim Downie writes

I prolly am, mine must be a good 25 years old, still works well, the only thing I have had to change was the capacitor in the HT (Which got donated by someone here in UK.d-i-y about 7 years ago)

Reply to
geoff

Mine reverses direction every time it starts

Reply to
Bob Martin

Only recently replaced a Sharp which was bought in 1982.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Our old one always went round the same way. Our new one goes in alternate directions.

Reply to
Huge

Slip isn't just phase lag, it's a slower speed too. Otherwise you've built a perpetual motion machine!

Truly synchronous motors have slip when they start from zero speed, but must have zero slip when running. This does make them more complicated to manufacture, as they generally require some separate starting device. OTOH, a simple fan motor can use a slug (a shorted turn of thick copper around half the winding, inductively producing a phase lag).

Practice for clocks was often to use manual start buttons. In the GPO ("Class B" clocks?) this "bug" was documented as a "feature". As the clocks weren't self-starting after a power outage, they would be obviously stopped rather than just set slow.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Er, no you wouldn't!

They can never have zero phase lag (slip) when running or they wouldn't turn. The lag causes the force (which constantly tries to get them back in phase) that causes them to turn. If they were turning with zero phase lag you might have a perpetual motion machine! This phase lag is naturally there becasue of the load (at minimum just bearing friction) on the rotor. The trouble is at rest, when there is no net phase lag in either direction and therefore no force. Thus an artificial one has to be applied to ensure starting [in the right direction].

Reply to
Bob Mannix

They certainly lag by phase, but slip (outside of a 100% efficient motor) is a reduction in _speed_, not just an equal speed lagging by constant phase.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Also a 1987 Toshiba. The turntable starts in either direction but does not auto-reverse at any time.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

You're right, of course. I was thinking of fitting a computer fan the other way round - but of course they're in one with the motor.

Indeed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Many years ago, parents had an Electrolux cylinder cleaner. That had a connector under the filter/outlet air vent - you could connect the hose to that. IIRC they actually sold something like a spray gun that was intended to work like that.

Reply to
Rod

you can give try to dyson vacuums, they are very sturdy, rugged and robust. easy to handle and low power consumption.

Tayyab

That is correct, we had one branded Vactric like this. You just took the filter off the back end and you had a screw thread you could attach things too. Its not done these days, for whatever reason. Most are crammed full of filters which get clogged up and need a good wash or replacing every so often. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Reversing the direction of spin of a centrifugal impeller will not reverse its function. It may just reduce its efficiency.

Reply to
JohnP