Utility drier system tested

In my utility room many years ago, I installed a drying system. A series of stainless steel clothes lines, a dehumidifier and a fan mounted on the wall to move the air. Basically a cheaper way to dry washing quickly without using the condensing drier and much more capacity.

The rule has always been load the lines up, turn it on and just leave it overnight. Next morning everything was dry, but its a bit cooler anyway in there, so difficult to be sure things were actually dry.

The other day I had a light bulb moment...

I already have a damp meter, why not use it to test whether clothes had dried or not. A bit of experimentation suggests they show as dry within

2 or or 3 hours, straight from the washer after its spin dry, depending on material thickness. So, no need to leave it running all night.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Often things dry in part, but not all over I find. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) formulated on Sunday :

I checked the thicker, more sheltered from the airflow parts. I was just curious as to how long my system actually took to dry things out, as previously it was just set to run from the evening, until next morning until someone noticed and switched it off. Its cooler in there, north side of house and no cavity wall - so checking by feel, they always felt cool/moist.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I found it's the fan that does most of the work, not the dehumidifier

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You need the de humidifier though to stop condensation and maybe fungal growth in the damp air. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Some places do, most don't.

NT