Bar Type Shower

Recent instal. This morning wife reported only a dribble. Took a look (at shower) and found that turning it to cold got us a flow (of cold) but turning it to hot reduced the flow of cold and we got no hot. Suspected a blockage but there wasn't one.

Any ideas?

Eventually removed the bar - took control valve off end/ Thought some sort of spool might be sticking so I gave it a good whack onto a bench.

It is now working. - But will it tomorrow??

Reply to
John

Do you live in a hard water area? Limescale is a possibility.

Reply to
The Other John

Agreed.

Make? I've been amazed how reliable my non-thermostatic non-bar type has been in hard Cotswold water (probably Screwfix). I believe it has ceramic disks.

Reply to
newshound

The Other John snipped-for-privacy@home.org wrote in news:MPG.384cd3d149947ef0989683 @news.aioe.org:

Not really and it was new in Sept.

Reply to
John

Perishing o ring, lime scale, other debris. Hard to say with no details of the system. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

My experience is the shuttle driven by a wax-stat device gets stuck.

As delivered there is some grease, presume silicone, that aids movement, but what I have noticed is a build-up of grime and loss of grease that prevents movement. I also wonder if the O-ring shrinks and hangs onto the shuttle.

I got a new cartridge so I have the old as a spare that I can rebuild. On mine it comes out by undoing a hex grub screw on the under-side of the bar. Saves a full dismantle!

The same happened to a combisave device I installed, where the return spring wasn't man enough to return the shuttle valve back to the cold position.

Reply to
Fredxx