Using OSB2 outside?

Hi all

Am just about to build a field shelter for the neds. Had planned it all using 3x3 uprights at 4' centres to take 4'x8' OSB standing upright, with a steel box profile roof.

Got some quotes today for the OSB, and LBS want £8.99 + VAT for 11mm, and £12.50 + VAT for 18mm, but it's OSB2.

Would the OSB2 be ok as the external walls of the shelter if it had a good couple of coats of waterproofing paint/substance? If so, what paint/substance would you recommend? Do you think the 18mm would be better value for money than the 11mm? Do you know any cheaper suppliers in the S. Wales area?

If you don't think the OSB would do the job, do you have any better idea? Steel works out a fair bit more expensive, plus I don't like having steel sheets in contact with the horses.

LBS don't do OSB3 so does anyone have any benchmark prices for this?

If I had more money I would shiplap clad it, but I've been quoted £9 ex VAT per m^2 for that.

Many thanks for any help.

Reply to
xena

I'm paying 15.67 inc vat a sheet for 18mm OSB3.

I've used OSB3 outside and unprotected for 2 years, after wish rain splashing was just beginning to very slightly delaminate it near the bottom.

I'd say the main considerations were keeping the rain off it (good roof overhangs) and keeping it clear of the ground and clear of contact with vegetation - good windswept boundaries so it dries off quickly. Not sure about protective coatings - especially as you want it to be compatable with animals.

Reply to
dom

Sorry, for a minute there I was confusing you with the person who had the problem of delinquent youths in the field behind the house.

I was thinking "that's awfully generous, building a shelter for neds".

Then I realised you meant gee-gees not yobbos.

:-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Lol, if that had been the case I'd have probably been asking about the most fire-retardent, graffiti proof OSB, not waterproof...

Reply to
xena