Using One Coat Plaster

I have a few chases to fill along with a few holes where back boxes have been removed so I am going to try a one coat plaster. The chases will require appprox. 16mm of thickness the other holes a little more but nothing exceeding the 25mm max. Thickness according to the British Gypsom White Book. I am planning to build up layers @8mm thickness.

Any Gotchas to be aware of such as drying times and finishing?

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I would use bonding plaster (preferably, out of date) to get almost to the top in one hit and then add a very thin skim layer. Don't forget to use dilute PVA before each layer.

Reply to
nothanks

I am really looking for a one bag solution what I have to do does not justify getting bonding and finish as I would normally do.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Even easier, I would use the ready mixed from Screwfix or Wickes. Less effort that way to do more thinner layers.

Reply to
newshound

Doesn't sound very ambitious. You could do more than just 8mm with a decent one coat. You ought to be able to knock the job off in two hits easy. --

"There are, besides, eternal truths, such as Freedom, Justice, etc., that are common to all states of society. But Communism abolishes eternal truths, it abolishes all religion,and all morality, instead of constituting them on a new basis; it therefore acts in contradiction to all historical experience."

- The Communist Manifesto, Marx & Engels.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

:-)

But wet the chase first.

Reply to
ARW

If you have any scraps of plasterboard fill the majority of the hole with this before using a thinner layer of filler.

Otherwise paint the inside of the hole with a PVA/water mix and let it dry. Repeat with PVA/water mix and let it go tacky and fill the hole to a couple of mm from the surface. The PVA/water mix will prevent the water being immediately sucked out from the filler and should prevent it cracking during curing/drying. Let this initial fill dry as you may find that it shrinks back a bit when curing/drying. Paint again with PVA/water before finally filling.

Reply to
alan_m