Using LED power supply to run incandescent bulbs

You'll never get that old fashioned under-run filament yellowy white from them. Unless there's a tinted varnish I don't know about.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, I agree, which is another reason not to switch. I may buy one or two, just to experiment.

Reply to
Graeme

I've replied to your extraction thread and posted a video

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Small LEDS can be bought by the bucket full for not a lot. You might need a mixture of red and 'white' to get closer to the colour you want.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can get bagfuls for a dollar from China. If you can find the right tinted coating you're in business. A far better option is get RBG LEDs, then you can have any colour you like, including underrun white.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I understand now - I was thinking fairground illuminations to be a flippant example of a requirement for lots of bulbs, but wasn't expecting an actual fairground :)

One issue with using a PC power supply is you get 3.3V, 5V and 12V, but no voltage control. If you want to dim you can try using a resistor, but (depending on current/voltage drop required) it could end up getting hot, which might be tricky to mount in a confined space like a model house.

Also, if you have hundreds of watts of lighting make sure you have a window you can open...

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Graeme wrote on 18/08/2017 :

Maybe you could make use of the base of the original failed lamp, to make up some ready to use LED replacements? As one fails, screw in a ready made LED version.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Dave Plowman (News) expressed precisely :

It has worked for everyone else who has tried it - It needs the code of the post to be edited directly.

All of my hundreds of PB images were affected, on many websites. I am not best pleased with the way PB went about this.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Ah. I tried it on the car forum I mentioned, and it didn't work. I used the PB 'direct link' as usual and added the bit you showed. A preview just showed that URL rather than the pic - which it would have done before.

Quite. If they'd asked for a reasonable sum, I might have considered it. But given there are alternatives still free, they may have shot themselves in the foot. (I don't mind seeing ads on a free service like that - provided they ain't videos you are forced to watch for ages.)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

there is another way of viewing any PB forum photos that have the ?Please update? block but it does not always work for some reason L/click on the ?Please update? photo it should open the PB site with the same image if you R/click it and ?save image as? it should then open in your photo editor as the original correct image

-
Reply to
Mark

Did wonder if it is an ASCII thing here. This is what I did copied from your post:-

/TAZU%20MC%20Fail1_zpsc1zvuve8.jpg~original[/IMG]

Obviously just added the before the [/IMG]

Is that the IIRC tilde symbol in case it comes out differently here?

This newsreader often doesn't like the £ (GBP) symbol.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it's as simple as that to circumvent the photobucket changes, I'd expect them to cotton-on quickly and break that method too ...

Reply to
Andy Burns