useless sink overflow connection

The new sink looks lovely etc, but the overflow connection is useless. The = sink has a row of vertical slots in it. The connection is a rectangular pie= ce of plastic with outlet that has a rubber seal sandwiched between it and = the outside of the sink. There is a single screw in the middle holding it t= ogether. When I fitted it I just knew it would not seal, and of course it does not. This is not helped by the connection to the trap with a flexible corrugated= pipe that when bent round exerts quite a bit of force on the overflow conn= ection, tending to pull it away at the base. The rubber seal is supplied in flat and curved, and yes I am using the corr= ect one (flat).

Ideas to sort this out :-

  1. Find an elbow to put in the pipe so the force created by the overflow pi= pe is removed.

  1. Glue something on to enable a better fastening than the single screw in = the middle.

3a. Silicone both side of the rubber seal ? Will silicone stick to the rubb= er - I doubt it. 3b. Remove rubber seal completely and bed the whole thing on something that= will stick to metal, plastic and set but remain flexible - does plumbers m= ate set ? Maybe just silicone ...

Any ideas ?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

sink has a row of vertical slots in it. The connection is a rectangular piece of plastic with outlet that has a rubber seal sandwiched between it and the outside of the sink. There is a single screw in the middle holding it together.

pipe that when bent round exerts quite a bit of force on the overflow connection, tending to pull it away at the base.

one (flat).

is removed.

- I doubt it.

will stick to metal, plastic and set but remain flexible - does plumbers mate set ? Maybe just silicone ...

Use Fernox LS-X:

Dom Ostrowski

sink has a row of vertical slots in it. The connection is a rectangular piece of plastic with outlet that has a rubber seal sandwiched between it and the outside of the sink. There is a single screw in the middle holding it together.

pipe that when bent round exerts quite a bit of force on the overflow connection, tending to pull it away at the base.

one (flat).

is removed.

- I doubt it.

will stick to metal, plastic and set but remain flexible - does plumbers mate set ? Maybe just silicone ...

The flexible O/F pipe probably needs cutting to length. They generally supply the pipe to fit all sizes of sinks, so you need to trim it to suit. If it's too long, it will put pressure on the O/F seal.

Reply to
Bod

The sink has a row of vertical slots in it. The connection is a rectangular= piece of plastic with outlet that has a rubber seal sandwiched between it = and the outside of the sink. There is a single screw in the middle holding = it together.

ated pipe that when bent round exerts quite a bit of force on the overflow = connection, tending to pull it away at the base.

correct one (flat).

w pipe is removed.

in the middle.

rubber - I doubt it.

that will stick to metal, plastic and set but remain flexible - does plumbe= rs mate set ? Maybe just silicone ...

I trimmed it to exactly the correct length and it still exerts pressure - i= ts trying to straighten out ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

e sink has a row of vertical slots in it. The connection is a rectangular p= iece of plastic with outlet that has a rubber seal sandwiched between it an= d the outside of the sink. There is a single screw in the middle holding it= together.

ed pipe that when bent round exerts quite a bit of force on the overflow co= nnection, tending to pull it away at the base.

rrect one (flat).

pipe is removed.

bber - I doubt it.

at will stick to metal, plastic and set but remain flexible - does plumbers= mate set ? Maybe just silicone ...

The overflow is like this, but with a flexible pipe.

sm_jamieson

> Simon.

Gosh! Did you read that garbage before buying? :-)

" Franke Rectangular Overflow Pipework (Chrome Front Plate Not Included)

Franke is the World's largest manufacturer of kitchen sinks and taps, and is at the forefront of research and development of new materials and products for the kitchen. The modern sink has come a long way from it's humble beginnings. Gone are the days when it was a massive sink tub fixed to wall, with a wooden drainer beside it. Now, with kitchen design playing a key role in home improvement, it has ceased to be a mere workaday item. The stands true to these ideals offering you uncompromised design and breathtaking style that will ensure that your kitchen is one of a kind "

Obviously you are going wrong by trying to make it into a functioning, workaday item. It's obviously only meant to satisfy your kitchen designer. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

sink has a row of vertical slots in it. The connection is a rectangular piece of plastic with outlet that has a rubber seal sandwiched between it and the outside of the sink. There is a single screw in the middle holding it together.

pipe that when bent round exerts quite a bit of force on the overflow connection, tending to pull it away at the base.

correct one (flat).

pipe is removed.

rubber - I doubt it.

will stick to metal, plastic and set but remain flexible - does plumbers mate set ? Maybe just silicone ...

trying to straighten out !

One extreme answer, is to remove it altogether and cap it off at the waste fitting. As long as no one is liable to leave taps running, there's not a problem. I mean if all else fails of course! :-)

Reply to
Bod

at will stick to metal, plastic and set but remain flexible - does plumbers= mate set ? Maybe just silicone ...

3b with MS polymer silicone a la

something similar

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I've had several of these. I think the overflow went into a purpose made trap - much like the IKEA ones - and that relieved the strain on the single screw. I think the big suppliers have a version with a flexible hose.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

That's what was done with my bath - fortunately I didn't discover it the ha= rd way... I actually discovered it when repairing a leak from another bodge by a prev= ious owner - a lead water pipe which had been 'capped off' by bringing the = edge together (as if it were cut by giant pair of side cutters) and then ru= nning a thin bead of solder along the remaining gap. I was amazed it had la= sted as long as it did.

Reply to
docholliday93