use of 's-,' 'smell' or grease traps' in tropical climates

I just moved into a new appartment in a new high rise in Southern China. To my surprise I noticed that ****there are no 's-traps'**** (='smell trap', 'grease traps, etc': the s-shaped 'contraptions' under each sink and all the drain lines. As far as I know they have to be used in al residential constructions. The water also drains from the balconies in the same way. The whole building, all 25 strories, are built this way.

To make sure I explain it clearly: all the drainage lines are connected to- or go horizontally, straight to the vertical drainege lines, whih their air escape to the roof! Only the toilet bowls have their built in 'traps'.

Is this an accpetable, sanitary, building practice? Is this done because we are in a very hot, humid climate or I'm the victim of a bulding mistake or even of a scam?

Prompt expert's advise is greatly appreciatted, as things are starting to s(t)ink here!.

MWMAN

Reply to
mwman