upgrading from night storage heaters

Just bought a studio flat whose sole source of heat is one night storage heater: the conversion is only five years old but I thought these went out with flares. Any advice on upgrading if we stick with electricity - oil-filled radiators? There is gas in the building but unfortunately not in the flat. Worth moving to it despite the cost? Many thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
ruprecht

Nope, still quite common, especially in small places where the costs of a boiler are disproportionate to the costs of the single rad that they would use.

If you stick with electric then anything else is a retrograde step IMHO. They will all cost you more to run.

What is it that you don't like about the radiator? It should cost you about 100 quid a year to run, it will cost you this much to service a gas boiler every year.

tim

Reply to
tim

That depends enitrely on insulation levels. I froze in a three bed cottage with night storage rads, and spent 1200 quid over a year for the privilege. My 6 bed house stays warm as toast on about 8-900 quid. (oil)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The maximum cost of running each SR is independent of the house insulation. They are rated at 12, 18 and 24 Kw and this is maximum charge they will accept in the 7 hours they are turned on for. So the largest costs 24 * 2pence * 150 days which is 90 pounds. Properly set up (on the correct tariff, this is the maximum that a single radiator can ever cost to run for half the year. Of course, you will usually turn it down lower in autumn and spring so it will actually costs less.

Then you would have froze in the house, whatever heating it had. In any case this is irrelevant, the OP has a new build which WILL have good insulation.

perhaps you were on the wrong tariff

Obviously the larger the house the more cost effective a boiler will be, but for a small one-bed house/flat the maintenance overhead of a boiler is significant.

tim

Reply to
tim