update on using waste site on behalf of resident

I got a reply from the council and apparently although I'm not a resident of the qualifying area, if I can "reasonably prove" I'm taking garden waste on her behalf, it's fine. I've got the same surname so I need to take one of her utility bills plus some ID of my own. I don't know what happens if the surnames are different.

They *may* challenge things if I make multiple trips in a van or take a trailer.

It's worth being educated on these things, apparently they only brought in this rule (about having to be a resident and prove it) because the neighbouring council did the same, so if "they won't take our residents' rubbish, we won't take theirs"... So presumably this will spread like a virus until every local authority is doing it. Tricky for people who live roughly between two or more Household Waste sites which are run by different councils. If you use the one that isn't "yours", they'll turn you away.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Another example of boundary stupidity seems to be with Libraries

I ordered a textbook from my local Hampshire library and when collecting it they said sorry, you will have to pay a fee as it has been borrowed from Portsmouth for you and so is outside the County!!

When I said that last time I looked on a map that Portsmouth was in Hampshire, the reply was that Portsmouth is unitary Authority and for libraries, this means not in the County!

I don't object to a fee for a special loan but to make the fee different seems plain daft.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I suspect it will get worse with ongoing council budget cuts, no more favours for neighbours :(

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Perzactly. I've no objection to paying for an Inter-Library Loan, as this is a special procedure, but they seem to have bait-n-switched you and made out they they would bring a book from their own stock to your local branch, but then went and borrowed it from another library authority instead.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Our tip won't allow any sort of van in. Nor can you pull up outside & walk stuff in.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And they wonder why people fly-tip...

I looked into signing her up for the £60 a year "garden waste wheelie bin" that the binmen empty every fortnight. It's designed for "garden waste" but you're not allowed to put soil, rocks, stones, branches, tree trunks, stumps or logs in it. It's basically for grass cuttings and twigs FFS

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

jujt.19938$ snipped-for-privacy@fx30.fr...

yup - so they can compost it & sell it / sell it to be composted & spend the proceeds on "more" civil "service".....

sack the basatrds

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

There's no excuse for a professional to fly tip. They should include the cost of removal in their charges and if they do fly tip, the should have the book thrown at them.

Got big black bins here. They take anything I put in them.

Reply to
Eric

We get one 'free'. Same restrictions, but you can put in food waste.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Tradesmen have to have a Waste Transfer License, or in some cases a Hazardous Waste Transfer License, have to issue waste transfer notes and can't use public tips. So the costs to a business are higher than you might think.

Agreed. And if caught they do. You can be fined up to £50K and get 6 months inside.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Our local rules:

Green bin - food and garden waste

Yes please Food waste

Fruit and vegetable peelings Egg shells Tea bags and coffee grounds Cooked food, plate scrapings and meat or fish scraps Dairy products like cheese and yogurt Soiled cardboard unsuitable for paper collection

Garden waste

Leaves Grass cuttings Weeds Plants Prunings and trimmings Rabbit and guinea pig bedding

No thanks

Disposable nappies Dog mess and cat litter Plastic bags Plant pots Soil Turf with soil attached

Reply to
polygonum

Just another wheeze to relieve you of your cash. They'll all get the sack soon with any luck.

Reply to
harry

Should have told them to F off and keep their book.

Reply to
harry

At ours, they charge for vans trucks and trailers. No wonder there's fly tipping. Anything they make I'm sure is wasted in clearing up the fly tipping.

Reply to
harry

jujt.19938$ snipped-for-privacy@fx30.fr...

It goes for composting that's why. They sell bags of compost at our place. The other stuff goes in separate skips.

Reply to
harry

Good job I've finished emptying the M-I-L's house, then.

Reply to
Huge

Its due to the hike in landfill tax the councils have to pay. They only want the right rubbish not everyones clutter I guess.

Kingston upon thames told me I had to accompany anyone I used wwho was not resident in the borough. I'd like to know how they can find this out though.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

ARW

I really hope that ours doesn't start charging for trailers, because a) we tend to accumulate stuff in the trailer and make an occasional trip rather than multiple trips over the weeks in the car and b) some of it is messy and I'd rather not put it in the car!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Ours don't charge for trailers but do have some restrictions. Nothing over 13' (or something like that) overall length and single axle only.

This must be "resident in the county" would be a PITA, the nearest HWRC is in a different county, so is the most convient one...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice