Up and over garage door - how do the wires run?

Got one with a wire between a concrete block weight and two pulleys at the top which somehow holds the door horizontal. The left hand side had gone when we bought the house, and now the right hand side concrete block stays on the ground when I raise the door. I can't find a diagram or work out how the wire goes around the pulleys to make the block keep the door open. Can anyone help? Cheers, |FC

Not exactly DIY but you can have 'up and over' garage doors serviced relatively cheaply - we have several local firms here who will replace wires, lubricate and adjust for not a lot of money (at least, it was 10 years since I had one done but it seemed reasonable at the time).
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 17:20:49 +0100, "David WE Roberts"

I paid 35 to have a wire put back on. Think it would have been double if the wire and cones etc needed replacing.

Ones with weights rather than a spring are usually simpler. Cones are to compensate for the changing weight effect as the door opens and the spring tension alters.