Unskilled Manual Labour - London Average Day Rate?

I'm going to be looking for some general unskilled labourers to do some deconstruction and removal work (shed and concrete area at bottom of garden and loading it all into a skip), it's probably 3 days work for 2 people.

I'm of the opinion that you pay peanuts etc, but I have no idea of what a good rate is and I don't want to pitch myself too high.

This is in the South London area. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Reply to
Seri

Here in Medway (30 miles) I pay £50 + lunch a day if I need help. That's by cheque, not cash in hand.

You can get quite sensible people for that, for someone with a job who can take a few days paid leave its good extra money.

A couple of Polish/Albanian/Kosovans or UB40's would take less than that I reckon. Offer them £150 for the job but don't pay them till its done.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

8 * 3 * 2 =3D 48hrs. Minimum wage is =A35.93 over 21 =3D =A3284.64 total= for both but remember if this was a real official paid job HMR&C woud have 20% and NI what ever percentage that is. So =A3200 "cash" traceable or not. Which sort of fits with TMH's =A350/day/bod.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You should have said it was cash in hand and set Dennis off one.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

But that is for employees and I strongly suspect neither the OP nor TMH want them (with additional issues of employer liability insurance, elven safety etc etc). Better to look for self-employed contractors who will of course work without supervision etc. Easier to defend if they bring at least some tools themselves (eg shovel).

Reply to
Robin

Before Dennis grass's me up to George Osbourne I should state that any sub contract labour I use are self employed & provide an invoice.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Please forgive me if I seemed to cast aspersions on your labour practices. T'was not my intention.

Reply to
Robin

I realise that :-)

But you can't be too careful when 'Supergrass' Dennis is about.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks guys, so about 50 to 60 notes a person and provide them sarnies and the obligatory tea stream.

Might be a bit trickier if I need to find self-employed contractors but will see what I can do as it could save future troubles.

Reply to
Seri

Stand outside the local gym and offer them real labour...

' '

They'll pay you as well.... :-)

Reply to
Adrian C

The Medway Handyman ( snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk) wibbled on Monday 07 February 2011 15:17:

I paid a bit more but got a bloke who was a good step up from a basic labourer - I showed him lots of stuff and he happily replicated the work - quickly too.

Very smart guy - f*ck knows why he was labouring...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Lots of cheap imported labour round his way?

Reply to
John Williamson

In Sussex, a chap I know gets £75 a day, although he is fairly versatile.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar