Average charge

Hi all. I have enough crap (15-20 bags of rubble, old floor boards, busted up kitchen units, etc) to fill a big skip. What is the typical costs of filling this skip myself and having it disposed of responsibly?
Or more likely, have someone carry it off ?
I live in Liverpool
Thanks.
Arthur

I'd guess around 120 quid, although I don't know Liverpool. If you have a towbar, it would be cheaper to hire a big trailer for 35 quid and take it down the tip yourself/
Christian.

Don't people still steal thing like that over there then? I'm almost certain some tea leaf will find a market for it if you box it nicely.
The alternative is a caravan holliday in Wales, we take all the trash there is from England. You break em we take em.

I've done half-day hires of a Transit-type van for a similar sum, for just this purpose (but whether you get a van or a trailer, it's worth checking with the tip first that they'll definitely let you in!).
If you get a skip, a large chunk of the cost is the commercial waste disposal fee charged to the skip company, which as a private individual with trailer or van you don't pay; hence much cheaper that way.
David

My local tip charges for all vans. Estate cars, no.
--
*Virtual reality is its own reward *

Luckily, mine still doesn't charge for vans or trailers. They put up notices last year saying they were going to start, but never carried out the threat.
Christian.

Ditto. My 205 van has to go over the weighbridge during normal opening hours (but not after 12:00 on Saturday, or Sunday). Although they've never managed to charge me as it is always domestic waste.

My tip charges anyone carrying building waste. They will check inside your car, you have to hide it under bags of 'allowables'!

Ah. Not even Wandsworth do this. Hope there's no one from them reading this.
--
*Hang in there, retirement is only thirty years away! *

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:46:51 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

My local tip won't allow anything in a van, you can take trade waste in the casr and they're not too bothered, but if you turn up in a van then it doesn't matter what's in the back, it's trade waste.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd

Good thing I'm not a charge payer round your way, since that kind of behaviour is unacceptable.
Bedford has a simple solution. If you believe you're going to be mistaken for someone dumping trade waste, you can apply for a (free) permit.
How they stop tradespeople applying, I have no idea.

For the sake of your sanity, I'm glad you're not a tax-payer round my way: http://www.thisisoxfordshire.co.uk/oxfordshire/archive/2004/07/19/TOPNEWS0ZM.html http://www.thisisoxfordshire.co.uk/oxfordshire/archive/2004/07/19/NEWS3ZM.html (Articles about the councils dumping 10 tonnes of rubbish in Oxford City Centre to "make a point" about recycling. Surely heads should roll over this one - certainly they won't)
--
Selah

My sanity takes a battering every time the subject of local taxation comes up.
Especially since it appears I'm going to have to pay 3 times as much for my sod-all as I do at the moment.
Huge wrote:

Please don't have a heart attack while you read this, then...
http://www.northamptontoday.co.uk/viewarticle.aspx?ArticleID 9118&SectionID17&Search=litter&Searchtype=any&SearchSection%5&DateFrom1995&DateTo2004&Page=1&ReturnPage=Results.aspx
Basic summary: Good hearted if someone sad individual collects rubbish around villages near where he lives and takes it to the tip to keep his part of the world looking tidy. Council jobsworths at the tip tell him to stop doing it as it is not his own rubbish and he is committing an offence....

And mine charges for building waste as well, though I don't know if they actually check individual bags.
But what annoys me most is it's 40 quid a ton (or tonne) with a minimum charge of 40 quid and you just can't get anything close to a ton in a normal car so you end up paying something like 100 quid a ton - but I don't cos I drive to the next LA :-(.
And this is all justified by the 'landfill' tax which from the last time we discussed this is a measly 2 quid a ton for inert items like this. Anyone know if this has changed?
tim

FWIW I've just had the bill in for two skips this very morn Cambridge area,
12 metre skip 182.13
6 metre skip 129.36
all inc. VAT
--
Tony Sayer

Slightly OT but Looking to the future which is were Blair is bound to take us as it can increase the taxes.
In Belgium where I run a warehouse I have to pay for the 25 square meter skips with a direct debit. When they are full they are taken away and sorted by hand and the charge depends on what I have put in it.
Plastic for instance would cost me about 4000 Euros a skip, Wood about 1000 Euros a skip.
Trust me when I say that UK still gets a very good deal. Crazy when we think how little space there is spare.
Andy

I hired a mini-skip for about 80 quid, but bigger skips obviously cost more. Maybe ring round Kirkby skips, CCC, etc., plenty of skip hire about.
As for the typical cost of filling yourself, depends what you want to charge yourself ;ppp
A man and a van would do it, but explain exactly what it is you want moving and try to get a firm price over the phone. Ime, they quote *anything*on the phone, then try to bump the price from their minimum when they get to your house.
hth -- Jet

Depending where you are in Liverpool, there may be a *free* skip service available via the council.
I`ve seen them in Netherley and Dovecot so far, and I believe it extends to both council tenants and ex-council owners.
in it ;-) ---
I guess if the amount of scrap requires a 'skip' there is reason to believe that something fairly extensive in the building or refurbishment business has taken place and someone involved, if not the contractor doing the work, should pay, as part of the overall cost of the job, for disposing of the 'leftover's. However common practice here is that private individuals can take their garbage to the dump for their area without charge; unless they start doing it every week whereupon they may be asked who they are and to pay a 'Garbage Disposal Contractor Fee'. It is wise, if asked, to classify as "Domestic Garbage" and put some of the items on top into standard garbage or lawn waste bags. What we do, if we have to dump again after a short while, is to alternate vehicles in case they do, not very carefully, write down your plate number and say "Hey. You was ere last week"! I'm retired, so can dump almost any time; but have to be careful about volunteering help to others because of the rules about frequency of dumping! A big problem however is that the dump is only open Saturdays until midday. A lot of people here use the weekends to do home projects, fix the garden, build a country cabin, work on the boat etc. Many of us use pickup trucks as private vehicles. Often those 'extra cab' or even 'crew cab' configurations that make them as useful and as equivalent as a car. Others buy or build a small utility trailer to tow behind; trailers however have to be inspected and licensed as a separate vehicle. By the end of a weekend the back of the pickup (or the trailer) has all the leftover junk in it and nowhere to dump! Unscrupulous people sometimes dump 'in the woods', along the highway, or to avoid that, illegally in some company dumpster during the following week! And the kids have to go to school and the adults to work Monday morning! Weekdays the dump doesn't open until 08.00h and closes at 17.00h allowing no time to get there before or after work. Result that stuff stays in back of the truck for few days until one can dash over during a long lunch hour; or the following Saturday morning! Right now I've got some trash, part of an old lawnmower to go to metal recycling which is fortunately next to the dump and two out of date propane cylinders that I can leave at an approved filling station.for recycling. Three stops for less than a pickup load! Municipal depts. will sometimes pick up for a fee but that involves waiting at home for them and is expensive and slow. In other words the authorities here have got it right by not charging private individuals a fee. But they don't make it at all easy to actually get to the tip. BTW unsupervised dumps in various places have proven a pollution nightmare in most instances. One can almost understand the sense of frustration of a private individual who is working hard all week, working their weekends to improve their property etc. and then has to sneak around to some 'Bomb site' in dead of night to get rid of something. Bah humbug!